Rubio Follows Up On His Promise to Self Immolate

Senator Marco Rubio is making good on his promise to focus on repealing Obamacare, and his first act on this unholy crusade is to repeal the individual mandate.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) on Tuesday introduced a constitutional amendment aimed at invalidating the individual mandate to buy health insurance under Obamacare.

The text of the “Right To Refuse” amendment, according to Rubio’s office: “Congress shall make no law that imposes a tax on a failure to purchase goods or services.”

The individual mandate was upheld buy the United States Supreme Court under Congress’s power to impose taxes, so a new constitutional amendment aimed at challenging another part of the constitution is Rubio’s only recourse. Because being a constitutional “originalist” is no longer in style as a result of the Supreme Court’s decision.

I have no idea what Rubio is doing and I suspect he doesn’t either. This will undoubtedly come back to haunt him in four years and anyone who is advising him otherwise is sorely mistaken.

With that said — keep going! You’re doing great.

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Rubio is just following the lead his fellow republicans set with their never ending votes to repeal Obamacare. He knows this amendment will go no where, but being a republican isn’t about accomplishing things any more. It’s about being able to go back to your local teabagger wank-off and proclaim that you “took a stand” against the Evil Kenyan Usurper (TM).

    • Christopher Foxx

      but being a republican isn’t about accomplishing things any more

      Not that any Democrat will bother to point that out and (rightly) take Rubio to task for it.

  • i_a_c

    I wrote a comment on TPM something to this effect: We are taxed on failure to purchase goods and services all the time. I pay more tax than someone who decides to take out a mortgage. I pay more tax than someone who buys energy-efficient windows or appliances. People who are not enrolled in college courses pay more tax than those who are. The list goes on forever. Where is the teabagger outrage over the mortgage interest deduction penalty? What about college tax credits penalties? And it goes beyond that: the government is trying to force us to have lots and lots of kids by giving tax penalties to those with no dependents! Now that’s tyranny!

    I hope Marco Rubio can try to explain the difference between the individual mandate and each of the littany of tax deductions and credits penalties that already exist.

  • muselet

    What Marco Rubio is doing seems pretty clear. He wants to be president but he’s gotten pilloried for supporting immigration reform; he has to polish up his Righty credentials or he’ll never win his party’s nomination.

    He’s playing to the cheap seats.

      That occurred to me, but I just don’t believe this gesture is enough to make up for his perceived trespasses on catering to immigrants. I feel like we may know his base better than he does.

      • muselet

        No, won’t be enough by itself. I expect Rubio will spend the next 2–2½ years making dumber gestures than this to make up for his one moment of semi-sanity. I’m not sure the tactic will work—how long is the base’s collective memory?—but it could be interesting to watch.

      If he really wants to run for President, this isn’t going to get him there.