Rumsfeld: President Obama’s Allegiance to America is a Known Unknown

The grandson of President Jimmy Carter has struck again, and this time it’s former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld who was caught on camera saying that he “can’t tell” if President Obama has switched sides and joined the terrorists.

At 0:16

Question: As you go around the country, do you have any sense or the same sort of sinking feeling that the rest of us have that he’s actually switched sides in the War on Terror?

Rumsfeld: I just don’t feel competent to answer. I can’t tell. He’s received resistance. He campaigned against the structures President Bush put in place. Guantanamo Bay, indefinite detention, military commissions, and the Patriot Act and rendition. He’s kept in place most of those things. Not interrogation and not rendition as I understand it.

Now, why has he kept those in place? Do I think he suddenly had a change of heart? I don’t. I think he still would prefer they didn’t exist.

[...]

What will he do next? I have no idea. But I have no idea what he thinks or how he operates other than it bothers me greatly that he’s unwilling to identify the enemy. I don’t see how you win if you don’t.

known-unknownComing from mister “known unknowns” himself, I suppose it shouldn’t come as a shock that he “can’t tell” if President Obama has switched sides in the War on Terror.

Judging by his remarks that he believes the president would ‘prefer that those programs didn’t exist’ and that he has “received resistance” to closing them implies to me that he would err on the side of believing President Obama has switched sides. If that’s not the case, I would at least receive those remarks as a wink and a nod to the obviously-delusional audience he was speaking to.

Because clearly, hawks in Congress are the only thing standing between the president’s sympathies for the terrorists and our total destruction, right?

To the average person it would be a given that the president takes matters of national security very seriously (just ask drone critics), but for Rumsfeld, President Obama’s allegiance to America is just another known unknown. We know that we don’t know.

To confirm a known known about Rumsfeld, here’s a photo of him shaking hands with Saddam.

Saddam_rumsfeld

This entry was posted in President Obama, Security and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Candace Castle

    James Carter IV is Jimmy Carter’s grandson.

    • JMAshby

      Thanks for pointing out the error.

  • lahru

    I actually believe that now he’s just f87king with them. Yep! Hooked ‘em right in the gullet, and set the hook so they had no chance of getting away.

  • muselet

    Clearly Donald Rumsfeld is telling the deranged audience—who else shows up to an event hosted by world-renowned nutcase David Horowitz but crazy people?—what it wants to hear, but he doesn’t dissemble well and doesn’t even seem to be trying in that video. He seems genuinely to be peeved that Barack Obama isn’t joyously continuing every Bush Administration policy and denouncing Islamofascistterroristswhohateusforourfreedom every third sentence.

    Also, this—

    “And of course we didn’t want those things to have to exist in the Bush Administration.”

    —will go down in history as the dumbest statement since “It became necessary to destroy the town to save it.”

    –alopecia

  • Ipecac

    Yes, he’s unwilling to identify the enemy . . . that he’s killed in far greater numbers than Rumsfeld ever dreamed of doing when he was in charge of the most powerful military force in the world.

  • D_C_Wilson

    “Unwilling to identify the enemy.”

    This from the guy who, in response to 9/11, immediately started pushing to attack Iraq because “there are no targets in Afghanistan.”

    Fuck Rumsfeld. Every time he opens his mouth, someone should be there to hand him since big can of STFU.