So I Assume the GOP Will Support Repealing Some Bush Era Things

Ted Cruz on the NSA data-mining:

“I think they view the Constitution as, essentially, a pesky obstruction to carrying out their agenda,” Cruz said. “Whether it is the First Amendment, going after journalists and the media, seizing their phone records and emails, or trying to take away the right of service men and women to share their faith, or whether it’s the Second Amendment, stripping away our right to bear arms, or whether its the Fourth and Fifth Amendment, either with drone policy targeting Americans, or with the NSA not respecting our right to privacy.”

“Every American,” Cruz said, “conservative or liberal, should be concerned when the federal government arrogates to itself so much power that it admits no limits under the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.”

Rand Paul:

“After revelations that the Internal Revenue Service targeted political dissidents and the Department of Justice seized reporters’ phone records, it would appear that this Administration has now sunk to a new low,” the libertarian-leaning Republican said.

Ann Coulter thinks the administration is harassing Americans:

She told Sean Hannity tonight that under an “honorable administration,” the government should be able to collect phone records, but said that President Obama, with all the other scandals that have come out, has proven to be untrustworthy and he cares more about “harassing Americans” and his political opponents than actually fighting terrorism.

Newt Gingrich thinks the administration went too far and should’ve merely profiled the Islamists:

“The fact that they relentlessly refuse to profile, and be accurate, and focus on people likely to kill us—and so instead they gather mounds of data about everybody—actually I think weakens our ability to find out the people who are the most dangerous,” Gingrich said.

Bill O’Reilly is outraged, too.

Bill O’Reilly was fired up tonight over the revelation that the government was collecting massive amounts of U.S. cell phone data. Megyn Kelly explained the details of the program to O’Reilly, who engaged in some wild speculation over what the government can do with this information.

Drudge was apoplectic, even posting a screen grab from Greenwald’s post:

drudge_nsa

So I assume all these guys will support a repeal of the PATRIOT Act, FISA and the 2001 AUMF? They spent eight years demanding a surveillance state under the mantra of “you can’t have a Constitution if you’re dead” and now they’re outraged when they get what they want.

This entry was posted in Terrorism and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Like Chez, my head hurts. The arrogance in the hypocrisy and outrage over things that THEY wanted in the first place is a double standard of monumental proportions. It was okay for Bush do all this shit (I remember walking through South Station when the alert was orange and seeing guards armed with M-16′s and pistols strapped to their leg looking at me suspiciously) but ooo….when President Boogey-Man has the authority they shit themselves that their freedoms are being violated.
    Do I agree with the invasive nature of all the alphabet bills that have been put forth? No…I don’t. But all these war mongers shouldn’t suddenly cry foul when the ball is in a Democrats court. After all, isn’t that giving aid and comfort to the enemy by publicly decrying the Commander in Chief?
    Like you, Bob, I wonder if they’ll be all for repealing these overreaching bills. Please Mr. President, call their bluff.

    • missliberties

      Situational ethics, other known as hypocrisy.

      • MrDHalen

        I’m stealing that Missliberties! :-)

        • missliberties

          Please do! Anything to help the cause.

    • ninjaf

      A facebook friend referred to these people as “civil liberty cicadas,” which I think is an excellent metaphor.

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    I would love to see President Obama propose repealing the patriot act…lock stock and barrel.
    House republicans would block it of course, just as they have his three attempts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility.
    But if these wackjob wingers can vote 37 times to repeal healthcare reform, then our elected President can get these obstructionist whiners on record as the hypocritical assholes they really are.

    • Christopher Foxx

      You mean actually calling out the Republicans on their shit? No, the Democrats don’t do that.

  • missliberties

    First off both ‘breaking stories’ got their facts wrong. Thank Mr. Greenwald hack journalist extradinaire. Can we call him Glenn, Alex Jones, Greenwald now?

    Secondly, the Congress reauthorized these programs in 2012. Remember the huge controversy and debate about it? Neither do I.

    Third, there is no presumption of privacy these days. Video camera in cities, stores, police stations, etc.

    Fourth I am glad people are having this debate.

    Fifth I do not appreciate the knee jerk reaction from the Press who got the facts of the story wrong AGAIN. WaPo has already issued some corrections.

    • Draxiar

      “WaPo has already issued some corrections”

      And this is why President Obama usually waits for facts to come in before releasing statements.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Third, there is no presumption of privacy these days. Video camera in cities, stores, police stations, etc.

      Ah, yes. The “the crime has already been committed so I guess we should just let it go” excuse.

  • i_a_c

    Yep, my thoughts exactly. If they are suddenly so outraged about this, then be my guest and repeal the PATRIOT Act expansion of FISA court powers. Liberals were warning about this all along, but the Republicans couldn’t get enough security.

  • JimmyAbra

    So, we offer up all our personal stuff on-line via various social networks where we know they mine the info and we are good with it…But remember what the Internet is, who started it, and pretty how it is connected to us…Government computers…I am not sure why everyone is so shocked…I’ve always thought Person of Interest TV show was more real than fiction – at least with the technical capabilities. I guess I am OK with it because I’d figure I would be helped by it more than hurt, since I really don’t break the law often or try to organize domestic or international terrorist attacks…

  • D_C_Wilson

    “now they’re outraged when they get what they want.”

    Yes, but as I said yesterday, they never imagined they would get it under a scary black man, so now they’re outraged.

  • ChrisAndersen

    I think we should be encouraging them to keep talking like this. If we really want to repeal/reform the PATRIOT Act, FISA and the AUMF then encouraging this discussion is what we should be doing.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    President Obama, if you really believe in doing the right thing, repeal the Patriot Act NOW!!!

    And Republicans, and all those on the right who are criticizing the president for doing the exact same thing you supported Bush and Cheney for: SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACES UP, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!