Swiss President Doubts Snowden’s Swiss Banker Story

It’s not just American authorities who are skeptical of Edward Snowden’s story as reported by Glenn Greenwald at The Guardian.

Swiss President Ueli Maurer said he doubts Snowden’s tall tail about participating in a CIA operation to intoxicate and compromise a Swiss banker and indicated that Swiss authorities may launch a criminal probe if prosecutors feel it is necessary.

(Reuters) – Swiss President Ueli Maurer said on Sunday he doubted Edward Snowden’s claims about his activities as a CIA man in Geneva and would back a criminal investigation into the secrets leaker if Swiss prosecutors called for one. [...]

“It does not seem to me that it is likely that this incident played out as it has been described by Snowden and by the media,” Maurer was quoted as saying in the Der Sonntag and SonntagsBlick newspapers.

“This would mean that the CIA successfully bribed the Geneva police and judiciary. With all due respect, I just can’t imagine it,” SonntagsBlick quoted him as saying.

He added that Snowden was just 23 at the time, and unlikely to have had knowledge of such an operation, and that the CIA usually dealt with terrorism rather than financial espionage.

If it’s true that Snowden’s drunken Swiss banker story was a fabrication or an exaggeration, the list of things he has been entirely honest about will become very short.

Either way, Snowden’s revelations are unlikely to produce dramatic change right here in America, but they could complicate relations with other nations.

This entry was posted in Lying Liars, Security and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • blackdaug

    From Snowden’s interview with GG today:
    “here was a distinct possibility I would be interdicted en route, so I had to travel with no advance booking to a country with the cultural and legal framework to allow me to work without being immediately detained. Hong Kong provided that. Iceland could be pushed harder, quicker, before the public could have a chance to make their feelings known, and I would not put that past the current US administration.”

    Is there anyone left who truly still sees this guy as a principled “champion of civil liberties”?

    He is living out the crazy Bourne movie in his head! On the run from the evil “current administration”….desperate to silence him!

    …..oh but stop calling him a “paranoid narcissist” you haters! The guy who says he can tap any phone in the world, was on secret missions to get bankers drunk, and is afraid of being “sanctioned” by the “current administration” (“All I can say right now is the US Government is not going to be able to cover this up by jailing or murdering me” – Snowden) is completely trustworthy!

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Edward Snowden is James O’Keefe. And Glenn Greenwald is Andrew Breitbart.

  • JimmyAbra

    Isn’t it kind of clear at this point this guy is “that guy” who we all know, who has a bit of information and exaggerates it in the “I (or I know someone who) work there and I can do this…” mode to try to make him seem like he has more authority and power than he really has and is just trying to impress those around him? The big difference is that there is something here that he thinks is really uncovering, not the saying “here is what we are doing” when he is really confusing it with “here is what possible if abused”

  • Sinnach

    Just like the hacking allegations against China, how is this rambling story in any way whistleblowing and not just trying to throw dirt at the NSA? He’s just ranting at the government now.