Texas Voter ID and Redistricting Taking Effect Immediately

The other Texas atrocity:

With the Supreme Court suspending the mechanism that forced Texas to get a federal OK before it can implement any election law change, state Attorney General Greg Abbott asserts that nothing now can stop the state from activating its controversial voter ID law.

“With today’s decision, the State’s voter ID law will take effect immediately,” Abbott announced. “Redistricting maps passed by the Legislature may also take effect without approval from the federal government.”

You know what? The Republicans are going to need it because there’s a storm coming and they’re in the path of it.

(h/t DUI Attorney Ed Tayter)
This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Bubble Genius

    I can see there are going to be a lot of people going to the Jim Crow states to assist with voter registrations/ID/etc etc etc

    • D_C_Wilson

      Let’s hope they get a better reception than the volunteers who did voter registration drives down there in the 60s.

      • Bubble Genius

        Fingers crossed, but y’know, there was no Fox News in the 60s or a proliferation of automatic weapons amongst the general populace. I worry.

  • Mike_Norris

    Bob, I said that yesterday. The shit-storm that is headed the way of the Republicans is going to be something to behold. Chief Justice Roberts opened up a can of controversy yesterday that he and the other four in his majority would have been best if left alone.

    To believe that the country has changed, as Chief Justice Roberts pointed out in his opinion, or to believe that we are a post-racist society is not just naive–but stupid. The people and states that want to impose voting restrictions on people because of their race will not be able to show any amount of self restraint. And the push back on their zealotry will be the the eye of the shit-storm–and the Republicans are in it.

    Like I said yesterday: Republicans asked for it–now they are going to get it.

    • Zen Diesel

      I agree whole heartedly, Winter is Coming for the Republicans.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I hope you’re right. Never, ever underestimate the evil that Republicans are capable of, all while wrapping themselves up in the American flag.

      • Mike_Norris

        I hope I am too Crab–I really do.

  • roxsteady1

    This is from an article on ThinkProgress about the Awesome Wendy Davis and the state of Texas and it’s redistricting plan that will now go into effect.
    “As MSNBC’s Zachary Roth reported, lawmakers moved “tens of thousands of black and Hispanic voters into neighboring districts” and as a result, “of the 94 precincts that were over 70 percent minority, Republicans cut out 48,” effectively separating black and Hispanic voters and preventing them from forming a sizable majority.”

    So, Davis and the Department of Justice used Section 5 in a lawsuit to stop Republicans.

    “Following the ruling, Davis’s district lines were mostly restored and she was re-elected “by a nearly identical margin to her 2008 victory.”
    But that victory could be short lived. Just two hours after the Supreme Court’s ruling on Tuesday, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott announced that the state would advance a voter ID law and the very same redistricting map that was designed to keep Davis out of office.”

    Here’s what I want to know – if this was already ruled to be a violation by the Federal Courts, how the hell can they now get away with this? It’s essentially saying that the votes of 6 people in one district is somehow larger than the 176 people in other districts. This shit will not stand. I hope that a lawsuit is filed again, immediately! Either way, it’s on Republicans because if you think you’re going to get away with this you’re sadly mistaken!

    • Victor_the_Crab

      They’ll get away with it as long as they make things so miserable that the voting public continues becoming more apathetic and stays at home.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Either that, or they’ll distract them with another round of American Idol.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          Oh yeah, especially THAT!

    • D_C_Wilson

      They’re betting that the very racial gerrymandering that the Supreme Court just legalized will let them get away with it. Let’s just hope there are enough white people (like myself) who have had enough of the craziness.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The Republicans are going to need it because there’s a storm coming and they’re in the path of it.

    Which made me think of this:

    http://www.funnyordie.com/embed_videos/ec8dca4dd0/stephen-colbert-s-anti-gay-marriage-ad