The (Temporary) New Senator from Jersey

He’s a Republican, but not a fire-eater. For example:

New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa (R), who Gov. Chris Christie (R) just announced will temporarily fill the U.S. Senate vacancy left by the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), supports a gun buyback program that took thousands of guns off of New Jersey’s streets and he says that reinstating the death penalty in his state is not a “good idea.”

Chiesa indicated his opposition to the death penalty in an interview with New Jersey’s public media network. While the incoming senator explained that he supported the death penalty when he was younger, he now opposes it because “in the one instance where you’re not right about that, there’s no way in any way to remedy that decision and the consequences of administering that decision.”

At this point, anyone who’s not a tea party Republican seems like a good guy.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Death Penalty and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I think we just saw Chris Christie set his presidential ambitions on the ground, douse them with gasoline, and strike a match.

    And Louie Gohmert will throw a batshit temper tantrum in 3… 2… 1…