538 Leaves The New York Times for ESPN

I’m very surprised the New York Times didn’t increase their bid to hang on to Nate Silver. via TPM

With his contract coming up for renewal, lots of media organizations were bidding for his services. But the move to ESPN seems to be more than just a new home for 538, his politics and polling blog. He also seems to want to get back into the sports stats and prognostication business, which is where he started in the first place.

The good news is he isn’t storing his Wizard costume away for good, it’s just moving to ABC. Because Disney is the Galactus of media.

In election years, Nate will do his politics and polling stuff for ABC News. ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney. So in a sense, 538 or whatever form it will take in the future will go to ABC News.

Silver will reportedly be featured on Keith Olbermann’s upcoming show on ESPN2.

This entry was posted in Elections and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    If it came down to a bidding war, The Mouse could pay Nate Silver far more than could The Gray Lady. However, my guess is that the cash was a secondary consideration.

    I think TPM is right: Silver’s first love is playing with sports stats, and I don’t think the editors at the NYT were keen on that.

    Plus, let’s face it, it’s a whole lot more fun to be called names by a bunch of rabid sports fans who believe in luck—and streaks and curses—than to be called names by innumerate fat guys who don’t know the meaning of the word “skewed.”

    –alopecia

  • Axomamma

    Why would the NYT want to fight to keep Silver? He makes the Villagers look bad.

  • D_C_Wilson

    And the newspaper industry in America continues its slow death spiral.