Are Rick Perry’s Eyes Set on Higher Office?

In case you missed it, Texas Governor Rick Perry announced earlier today that he will not seek re-election in 2014.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) announced Monday that he would not seek an unprecedented fourth full gubernatorial term. He previously served as George W. Bush’s lieutenant governor for the state, taking over the governor’s mansion in 2000, when Bush resigned to become president. He has since been elected for the state’s top post three times.

I believe Rick Perry has his eyes set on higher office.

His approval rating has actually shot up in the state of Texas since he called a special legislative session to stomp on reproductive freedom, and virtually no challenger within the state would have a chance of defeating him if he were to run for another term. During his announcement he also said that he will spend the remainder of his term in office contemplating what his “future path” will be.

Either he’s simply tired of being Governor, or he wants to spend a great deal of time preparing for a presidential run rather than jumping in at the last second and shitting the bed as he did in 2012.

One might assume that there is no recovery from “Oops,” but personally I find myself coming back to the same question I began asking in 2011; who else could possibly run?

The last time I asked myself that question, we ended up watching the spectacle of Ron Paul, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, and Herman Cain run for president. 2016 is anyone’s circus.

This entry was posted in Election 2016, Elections, Rick Perry and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    I don’t think it mattes whether there is a larger recovery from “Oops”, he will run because he will make money from doing so. Period. He will profit. Period.

    He will position himself as the great pro-life savior, he will position himself as the great mansplainer to Wendy Davis, and he will position himself as the great mansplainer to everyone who thought (correctly) that he was insulting Wendy Davis.

    It doesn’t matter that he executed a woman even though, according to him, “every life must be given a chance to realize its full potential and that every life matters.”

    He won’t get far in the primaries, but campaign money will come his way, and speaking engagements, and book contracts.

    And isn’t that what is important? That every megalomaniacal blowhard with dollars to spend can pretend to run for President of The United States of America in order to make even more money? Regardless of whether they have a chance of winning? Or whether they know damn well they have no chance of winning?

    The important thing is that the stenographers of the media accept at face value that these sociopaths are running for president and take every moronic and asinine statement falling out of their pieholes seriously.

    Who cares what it does to our electoral process? Or whether it distracts us from the reality that republicans are doing their utmost to keep as many people as possible from voting because it is the only way they can “win” elections and complete the destruction of the United States?

    • muselet

      I’m not so sure. Rick Perry is a lot of things, but avaricious doesn’t seem to be one. I think he genuinely wants to be President, not just go through the motions for a big payday, and he has pretty solid Religious Right support. Assuming he doesn’t implode this time out (“oops,” the maple syrup incident—see Rachel Maddow for details—&c.), he could have a chance at the nomination.

      The mere thought of a President James Richard Perry sends a shiver down my spine.

      –alopecia

      • LeShan Jones

        I comfort myself that as long as people like Perry have to continue toeing the teabagger line just to keep them happy; it will continue to turn off the rest of the voters in this country. Their kind of extremism is unfavorable to the nation as a whole; they are a minority that thinks itself a majority. Then they
        get genuinely surprised when they lose big (Mitt Romney)

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Let him run. He’ll come up with something equally damaging and dumb – like his “Oops” moment – that will torpedo any presidential ambitions he may have. That’s because he’s stupid, he’s intellectually lazy, and he’s… ummm… ummm…

  • D_C_Wilson

    Fox and Fools has been spending a lot of time lately praising his record. I’ve suspected for quite some time that someone at Fox has been hoping that he’d run for president in 2016. He’s got the pro-family* and no regulations** cred to win over the teabagger morons in the primaries. If he can avoid another “Oops” gaffe, he could have a decent shot at the nomination.

    Wouldn’t a debate between him and either Hillary Clinton or Elizabeth Warren be epic***?

    *By this I mean, doing that would actually help American families, but demonstrating how much he hates gays and lady parts.

    **Except for women’s health clinics, which he is trying to regulation out of business. That’s a feature, not a bug for the “small government” morons of the tea party.

    ***Epically humiliating for him, that is.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Oh, I’d LOVE to see a Perry vs Warren debate.

    I think he’ll run… straight to Fox News Studios. Or maybe CNN.