Cruz: Government Shutdown is Like a Holiday Weekend

Of course, as a member of Congress, Ted Cruz knows all about long weekends, doesn’t he?

via RollCall

“There are some Democrats, some in the media, even some Republicans, who portray a shutdown as … a horrible calamity. I think the term ‘shutdown’ is a misnomer. It’s actually a partial, temporary shutdown. We have seen them before.

“The world didn’t end. Planes didn’t fall out of the sky, Social Security checks didn’t stop, military paychecks didn’t stop, we didn’t default on our national debt,” Cruz said. “What happened was non-essential government services were temporarily suspended while the CR expired.

“That happens every single week on the weekend. Saturdays and Sundays we see temporary, partial government shutdowns, and the world doesn’t end,” Cruz said.

No.

sisko-facepalm1

Just because Congress skips town for the weekend doesn’t mean the government shuts down. No. No. It may shut down for Cruz and his esteemed colleagues, but it doesn’t for the rest of the nation. And it’s not as if a government shutdown would only last for two days.

As for the idea that the government shutdown of 1995 wasn’t a “calamity,” let’s take a trip down memory lane.

A 2010 Congressional Research Service report summarized other details of the 1995-1996 government shutdowns, indicating the shutdown impacted all sectors of the economy. Health and welfare services for military veterans were curtailed; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped disease surveillance; new clinical research patients were not accepted at the National Institutes of Health; and toxic waste clean-up work at 609 sites was halted. Other impacts included: the closure of 368 National Park sites resulted in the loss of some seven million visitors; 200,000 applications for passports and 20,000 to 30,000 applications for visas by foreigners went unprocessed each day; U.S. tourism and airline industries incurred millions of dollars in losses; more than 20% of federal contracts, representing $3.7 billion in spending, were affected adversely.

As a member of the Batshit Caucus, Ted Cruz probably doesn’t believe any of that is a very big deal.

This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Logan H

    I have yet to counteract the cringe worthy physiological response I have to hearing the name “Senator” Ted Cruz. It still amazes me this character was elected to the United States Senate, representing my home state, none the less. I can only hope more level headed views prevail in the years to come, so I don’t have to continue reading articles on sites such as this, shaking my head in frustration…

    • D_C_Wilson

      Even by Texas standards, Ted “The UN is coming for our golf courses!” Cruz is an embarrassment.

    • FlipYrWhig

      One of my better friends from high school ended up going to Princeton. At Fall Break we all got back together. We started talking about roommates. My friend said the guy he was stuck with was weird and creepy and made everyone uncomfortable, and he was so physically greasy that he left a film behind on everything in the room. My friend’s roommate? Ted Cruz. They called the greasy film “cruzz,” rhymed with scuz. Totally true tales of 1988.

  • Nefercat

    “Ted Cruz probably doesn’t believe any of that is a very big deal.”

    I think what is worse is that the horrid moron was elected to the United States Senate without a clue as to how the United States government works.

    If he thought the consequences of a shut down weren’t a big deal? Hell, I would give him credit for at least knowing that there were consequences to a shutdown, let alone what the damn consequences were!

  • Jason

    Of course, if the shut down isn’t a big deal, then why should it be taken seriously as a threat? If nothing bad will happen then doesn’t that dump Cruz’s leverage?

  • mrbrink

    Everyone knows that America doesn’t start until Ted fucking Cruz, little big man on campus, one man tyrant show, says so. That’s just the way these filibustering government shutdown cowards like it.

    Rand Paul recently announced that he is releasing his hold! on James Comey because government to these cultist fucking quats means freshman Senators like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz get to decide when the government can turn on the lights.

    Rand Paul and Ted Cruz will release the American political prisoners of the bureaucracy they claim to abhor, just as soon as we repeal laws against rape and torture. They’re prepared to wait us out. They brought snacks. Chocolate covered fetus bites.

    They used to do it just for the money, now they just do it to hear the squeals. And their audience rises from their own private hell to applaud.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Like most teabaggers, Cruz is philosophically opposed to the federal government doing anything except protecting fetuses, preventing gays from getting married, and killing Muslims. So of course he doesn’t think the shutdown will be any big deal.

  • Ipecac

    To be fair, Ted Cruz also believes that when he goes to sleep, nothing else happens in the world. Object permanence never took hold when he was a baby.