Despicable

What if Americans like Obamacare? That’s the question on the minds of many Republican strategists and operatives, but FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperty aren’t willing to rely on what-ifs and are trying to convince young people that they don’t need healthcare.

FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperity, a conservative issue group financed by billionaire brothers David and Charles Koch, known for funding conservative causes, are planning separate media and grassroots campaigns aimed at adults in their 20s and 30s – the very people Obama needs to have sign up for healthcare coverage in new online insurance exchanges if his reforms are to succeed.

“We’re trying to make it socially acceptable to skip the exchange,” said Dean Clancy, vice president for public policy at FreedomWorks, which boasts 6 million supporters. The group is designing a symbolic “Obamacare card” that college students can burn during campus protests.

This is purely political. And it’s anti-business.

They spent years and millions of dollars trying to convince Americans that Obamacare was a “government takeover of healthcare” and that healthcare should be left up to the private sector, but now their goal is to convince Americans that they don’t need to sign up for private healthcare.

Conservatism is a mental illness.

This entry was posted in Healthcare, Koch Brothers and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • beulahmo

    Wow. So….the ultimate gain from this is…satisfaction of spiteful desires? Damn!

    • missliberties

      The pettiest people on earth. They would rather see Detroit go bankrupt than give a man a living wage.

      How is it American to keep saying over and over that America is no place to do business because it is just too too ‘hard’ to make a business work that pays its workers and makes sure they are healthy.

      I hate these people. I know it’s wrong to hate, but I hate them.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Freeeeeee-dummmmbbbbb!!!!!!!

  • fry1laurie

    Of course, keeping the young and healthy out of insurance is what keeps those policies expensive for the rest of us.

  • missliberties

    Conservativism is a cult. Their motivation boils down to pure unadulterated spite. Let’s get even with the liberals for Robert Bork. They are in perpetual victim mode.

    • beulahmo

      What’s really bizarre is that they think they can continue to sell this spiteful shit. And they’re not even using their usual hooks like “the dark people are coming for your stuff” or “those dirty hippies are causing chaos”. They’re planning a “stick it to the man” campaign with the sole purpose of undermining the way insurance works. Think about the long-term implications if their campaign is successful. These are the most short-sighted and spite-addled people I’ve ever seen.

        If they would only walk the talk, we could be done with these dinosaurs much sooner.

        • beulahmo

          Of course, the multi-millionaires and billionaires leading these hate groups (Freedom Works and Americans for Prosperity) don’t need health insurance to have access to health care.

          I swear to God, if I were a doctor, I’d be sorely tempted to refuse to treat one of these assholes, even though I know it’s probably a betrayal of the Hippocratic oath.

    When I reflect on my history with psychiatric drugs to treat “depression” that later revealed itself to be pernicious anemia— I feel a little bit miffed. Kind of robbed. It was all so preventable. Had I seen a real medical doctor first, for a check-up and some blood-work, that problem could have been solved with two weeks’ worth of high-potency iron supplements and some vitamin C. Instead, I got a decade of brain-damaging cocktails.

    Since the past is dust and I like where I’m at, I don’t feel bitter; but I would like other people not to have to go through something similar.

    Young people can be sick and injured. Young people seem to be especially accident prone and most certainly should not be encouraged to forgo health coverage. What these Republicans are doing is immoral and catastrophically irresponsible. All people need to be encouraged to see a doctor once a year, so that anything off the charts can be addressed, and rectified, if possible. It will save money, bodily distress, and lives.

    No one should go broke and lose their home or be forever indebted over and accident or illness. Our health care system is getting better, but is still barbaric.

  • Zen Diesel

    They have completely become unhinged. The fools just don’t realize that they are on the wrong side of history.

  • Ned F

    So, Freedom Works, whose average member is probably over 50,and half of their members are probably on Medicare, want to hand out fake Obamacare cards to the kids, excuse me, “The Young Americans”, so they can burn them at their ” I don’t want to stay on my parent’s policy till I’m 26″ college protests. ??

  • trgahan

    My hat is off to the guy scamming the Koch’s out of the few hundred thousand dollars in consulting fees to develop and enact this “campaign.”

    I can see the campus protests now..all four members of the young republicans in shirt and ties, three paultards going on about their too smart for all this in the first place, and a few stoned frat boys just there to burn something. Of course the media will cover it as “The Return of American Conservatism Story No. 12365837″