Finally… Justice.

The other George Zimmerman trial ended with actual justice for the victim of a gun-toting racist:

John Henry Spooner, a 76-year-old Milwaukee man, was found guilty Wednesday of fatally shooting his 13-year-old neighbor whom he suspected had broken into his home and stolen weapons. The trial now shifts into a second phase in which the defense will try to prove the defendant was mentally ill at the time of the shooting.

A jury convicted Spooner of first-degree intentional homicide in the May 2012 killing of Darius Simmons. Surveillance video taken from Spooner’s own security cameras showed him confronting the teen that morning, pointing a gun at him from about 6 feet away and shooting him in the chest.

If you want to watch the heartbreaking video go here. The kid was just bringing in the garbage cans from the curb when Spooner confronted and shot him in the chest. As I said on the podcast, this never would’ve happened if Spooner wasn’t entitled to a handgun and lived in a culture that encourages him to use it.

This entry was posted in Guns, Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    That video is terrible and heartbreaking. What kind of person just decides to end a 13 year old’s life like that? Even *assuming* he stole something, why was that offense worth his life? It takes a sick mind to believe that your “stuff” is worth someone else’s life.

    I agree with you, take away the handgun and the culture of vigilante justice, and that kid doesn’t die.

  • Zen Diesel

    I am glad that Wisc, had more common sense than the folks in Floriduh. I didn’t realize that there was video of the shooting when I first heard about this story last year. I am sure there is some wingnut out there willing to defend the old man as being mentally ill and that he should not be sentenced.

    • Christopher Foxx

      He believed it was OK to shoot a child bringing in the garbage cans. Clearly he is deranged.

    • RamOrgan

      Wisconsin has more common sense than Florida? No, Scooter Walker just hasn’t had time to enact a stand-your-ground law. He’s been too busy stripping the rights of public service union workers, permitting concealed carry everywhere and fitting small government into girly parts.

      • zombie377

        Yes, we’re well on our way to becoming a third world state. Right down the street from me a 20 year old was shot and killed for being on a guy’s porch right around the time of the Zimmerman martin fiasco. Under the “castle doctrine” he was not charged. Spooner was not deranged, he just felt it was open season on African-American kids. He may have been wrong, but the isolated incidents just keep on keeping on.

  • D_C_Wilson

    The prosecution was “lucky” to have the crime on video. If it hadn’t been, I guarantee there’d be wingnuts everywhere asserting as fact that Darius was a thug, that he attacked first, etc.

  • Ipecac

    I just don’t get the mindset that can look down the barrel of a pistol and think, if I pull this trigger, this child ceases to exist. And then do it. I just don’t get how you can make that choice.

    But then again, I’m not a murderer.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I’m absolutely positive an thought like ” I pull this trigger, this child ceases to exist” never comes within 100 miles of what passes for their minds.

      “That’s not a “child”, that’s a thing. And I’m not killing it, I’m defending myself as is my God given right.”

    • LeShan Jones

      Blogger Driftglass posted this quote yesterday;

      One time in a hundred a gun might save your life; the other ninety-nine it will just tempt you into folly…”

      — Robert Heinlein, “Tunnel in the Sky”

      So very true, a gun is the ultimate empowering weapon…and power corrupts.
      These guys get to thinking that they have a gun, they’ll show all those evildoers what’s what. The gun gives them a false sense of security and false courage, and from that…tragedy.