Governor Scott Walker Signs Mandatory Ultrasounds Into Law

While many people were still out for the holiday or otherwise incapacitated yesterday, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walked signed mandatory ultrasounds into law.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) quietly signed new abortion restrictions into law on the Friday after the Fourth of July that will require “women seeking abortions to undergo an ultrasound and ban doctors who lack admitting privileges at nearby hospitals from performing the procedures.” [...]

The Wisconsin Medical Society, the Wisconsin Association of Local Health Departments and Boards, the Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians, the Wisconsin Hospital Association, and the Wisconsin Public Health Association all declined to endorse the proposals when Republicans fast-tracked the bills through the legislature in June.

If virtually every non-partisan medical organization in the state declines to endorse your ultrasound mandate, it must be a great, scientifically-warranted idea, right? Maybe not.

The law will take effect this coming Monday and may lead to the closure of several clinics that perform abortions because their staff do not have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital. And they will tell you that this is “for the safety of women,” which strikes me as Orwellian language used by rape culture.

War on Women Fiction

This entry was posted in Abortion, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    TPM:

    Walker did not sign the bill in public, instead issuing a press release early in the afternoon including the bill in a list of 17 other measures he signed earlier the day.

    “This bill improves a woman’s ability to make an informed choice that will protect her physical and mental health now and in the future,” the blurb noting the signing said.

    I’m not the first person to call bullshit, but let’s pretend that’s not a steaming pile.

    Three paragraphs later:

    Republican supporters argue the ultrasound requirement is designed to help the woman bond with the fetus and convince her to save it.

    What in the world does that have to do with protecting a woman’s health?

    Republicans, if you insist on passing laws like this, do it openly, publicly and proudly. Man up, to coin a cliché. And stop pretending you care the least little bit about the lives or health of pregnant women. You’re not fooling anyone.

      “Informed choice” is the Orwellian Newspeak for “Pregnant women can’t be trusted to make their own choices unless we beat the correct one into their pretty little heads.”

      Honestly, is there anything more insulting than telling women that they don’t understand what’s going on inside their own bodies unless we shove a probe into their who-has?

      • muselet

        Laws like this one make me wish someone would introduce Rs to sounding. It’s only appropriate.

        –alopecia

        • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

          They’d probably enjoy it. :(

          • muselet

            Sadly, you’re probably right. It’d be just another Saturday night for them.

    Fucking bastards.

  • Lady Willpower

    “Informed choice” = “we’re trying to guilt-trip the FUCK out of you”

  • jmhall2369

    I think the reason Walker and these other people, like those in North Carolina and Governor Perry, are doing this not because “every life is precious” but because “every white baby is precious”, without the understanding these laws also affects Latinos, African-Americans and all other non-whites. Dopes. All they are doing is ultimately sealing their own political fate.