House GOP Resurrects Dead Horse. Beats It Some More.

While no one was watching, House Republicans defunded ACORN again.

Really

WASHINGTON — The House GOP quietly blocked funding for ACORN last week, even though the anti-poverty organization has long since been both defunded and disbanded.

The legislative assault on ACORN, which shut down in 2010, was included in a Department of Defense appropriations bill that cleared the House on Thursday. Although the bill passed by a broad, bipartisan margin of 315-97, it garnered attention for an amendment proposed by Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) that would have stopped the government from collecting masses of phone call metadata without reasonable suspicion.

Amash’s amendment failed, but language to bar ACORN from receiving any money made the final cut. Section 8097 of the bill reads, “None of the funds made available under this Act may be distributed to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) or its subsidiaries.”

At the time I mocked supporters of the Amash amendment because the appropriations bill also bars the president from closing the prison at Guantanamo Bay, among other things, but I didn’t realize it would also defund ACORN again.

This just goes to show you that any Republican-backed legislation, especially if it originates in the House, should be viewed with the utmost skepticism. And even if you agree with the Amash amendment, you have to realize it would have been attached to a hulking anti-progressive boondoggle.

The House defense appropriations bill also restores cuts made to defense under sequestration by making cuts to other discretionary programs, and for this reason the White House has threatened to veto it.

This entry was posted in Congress, Super Stupid and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Aww…poor widdle repubbies don’t like the cuts to an overbloated government defense department….wah-wah….

  • i_a_c

    Ghosts. All they chase are ghosts.

    • Draxiar

      Most of them are ghosts: totally see through and with no substance…

    • nathkatun7

      Indeed! Our tax dollars are paying the salaries of GOP members of Congress who are wasting time passing legislations to “chase ghosts.”

  • hanadora444

    As if we needed more proof, these people really are bloody useless.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Look, just because the organization doesn’t exist any more, doesn’t mean they can’t use federal funds to steal the 2016 election for the democrats. Obviously, Obama was planning on using his time machine to bring ACORN forward in time and then give them federal funds to help gay atheist Muslim Mexican illegal immigrants to vote in the next election. Thankfully, our republican overlords caught wind of it and saved us from another Marxis/fascist takeover.

    • blackdaug

      Ahh…the same machine he used to go put those birth notices in the Hawaiian newspapers!
      At last, the usurpers plans emerge from the mists …….diabolical !!!
      You sneaky, sneaky black man!

    • Treading_Water

      Just because ACORN no longer exists, doesn’t mean that it didn’t steal the 2012 election for Obama.

      • Christopher Foxx

        In fact, the fact that it doesn’t exist only shows how effective it is at covering it’s tracks! That it doesn’t exist is proof that it does!

  • Christopher Foxx

    Clearly the Republicans have some boilerplate text they stick on the end of every bill. It’s emblematic of their approach to governing:

    Take a position on something and keep on insisting on it no matter what. Doesn’t matter that the thing being insisted upon is obsolete or that the reasons for the position were nonsensical and bogus in the first place.

    Hence, to every bill they add “This money can’t be used to fund ACORN. Also Obamacare is repealed, the 16th Amendment shouldn’t be passed and war is declared on Japan.”

  • LeShan Jones

    They really have nothing better to do with their time.

  • Tbone

    I hear they’re also cutting subsidies to buggy whip manufacturers.