Keeping Up With The Gohmert

The GohmertIn a scenario which was bound to turn out just as it did, Representative Louie Gohmert (R-TX) recently guest-hosted the Family Research Council’s Washington Watch radio program, and during his stint as Wingnut Wrangler he flirted with Birtherism, implied that President Obama is a secret-Muslim, and railed against abortion and birth control.

Gohmert, who received his education from the back of a Cracker Jack box, said President Obama doesn’t know American history because he grew up in Indonesia. Wink. Nod.

via RightWingWatch

Gohmert: The president wants amnesty, and the only way we can force him to do the job he has absolutely refused to do — to protect this country, secure the border — is to say ‘you want this further immigration bill? Then secure the border. You can. You should.’

And when I hear people say ‘well It would take years to do that,’ Mark you’re probably aware back in 1916 Woodrow Wilson, not one of my hero presidents, actually did secure the border. Completely secured the border with tens of thousands of national guard folks and I don’t think we have to do that. But we do have the manpower, we got the the ability, it has been done before, and this president said he’s secured it better than any president. And I understand when you grow up in Indonesia a lot of times you don’t get the American history that the rest of us got growing up here, but it was secure.

Curiously, Gohmert did not acknowledge that the immigration reform bill passed by the Democratic majority in the Senate includes funding for 20,000 additional border agents in an effort to secure a border that is, as Gohmert did point out, already more secure than it has been under any previous president.

But Gohmert didn’t stop with a wink and nod to the time President Obama spent in Indonesia as a child while all but calling him “boy.” He also implied that the president isn’t really a Christian which, in my opinion, is a notion that is inextricably tied to his skin color. And he tops all of this off with a conspiracy theory that the federal government is going to use your medical records to persecute you.

Gohmert: The federal government, I guess in the second term of this president — a proclaimed Christian — yet at the same time his administration really has gone to war with Christianity. As Tony [Perkins] and I were talking about earlier today. The gloves have come off. There really is a war by this administration against not just the Catholic church but the Christian church. You can’t practice what you believe about birth control, about abortion. This administration will tell you what religious practices that you can participate in and what you can’t, and the only thing that would make it any better is if they have all your medical records, have access to your phone records and your emails. And, then, oh that’s right they are about to have all of that.

We’ve always been at war with Eastasia Christmas.

If Gohmert hadn’t received his education from Looney Toons, he would know that the federal government cannot dictate what religious practices you can participate in but it can, however, prevent you from forcing your beliefs on others in some cases. He would also know that the separation of church and state prevents the federal government from passing laws that favor one form of religion over the other.

As an elected representative and member of the United States Congress, Gohmert should have a better handle on reality and conduct himself accordingly, but clearly that’s setting expectations far too high.

This entry was posted in President Obama, Religion, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    You can’t practice what you believe about birth control, about abortion.

    Translation: The government isn’t slut-shaming women nearly enough for our taste.

      …Brought to you by The Biazrro World Ad Council

  • Nefercat

    “You can’t practice what you believe about birth control, about abortion.”

    Which is forcing others with different beliefs to abide by, follow, and practice your beliefs.

  • Zen Diesel

    Someone need to remind him about the Treaty of Tripoli, the government wasn’t founded on Christianity.

  • Tilghman Lesher

    The conspiracy that he’s on about is much more simple; what he really wants is the South of the 50s, where there was a nice little feedback loop where Good Christians ™ would only patronize “approved” businesses, and those “approved” businesses would have to meet certain criteria, such as not funding organizations and practices the Moral Crusaders didn’t like, which put those organizations out of business and ceased those practices. And any businesses which refused would also lose out on the business of those Good Christians ™. Similarly, businesses could refuse to serve those who disagreed with the Moral Crusader.

    But if the government steps in and says those businesses HAVE to fund those practices and CANNOT discriminate against people of different viewpoints, that throws a wrench in their plan to “take back” the country. If you look at it from the perspective that they have a long range plan, it makes perfect sense in that context. I don’t think they realize how much they are in the minority on this. Americans especially don’t like people who are trying to social-engineer their society, and Americans are already abandoning churches in droves, because of this. Ironically, if Christian churches stuck to Christ’s teachings about social justice and abandoned their Pharisee ways, I think they could reverse that trend.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    This deranged idiot was allowed to host a talk show? Holy fucking hell!!!

    said President Obama doesn’t know American history because he grew up in Indonesia.

    I’d like to introduce Louwee to one of my students — born and raised here, never been out of the country (I spend part of my time [when not being a lazy Dirty Fuckin’ Hippy™] as a tutor of English in Costa Rica) — who, a couple weeks ago and for fun, filled in the names of the 50 states on a blank map and then recited the Preamble of the Constitution.

    I bet Rep(rehensible) Goathead would have a hard time doing that.

  • incredulous72

    “The federal government, I guess in the second term of this president — a proclaimed Christian — yet at the same time his administration really has gone to war with Christianity.”

    The President has demonstrated he’s a Christian by his actions much more than Gohmert Pyle has in his entire existence.

    “And I understand when you grow up in Indonesia a lot of times you don’t get the American history that the rest of us got growing up here, but it was secure.”

    Right, the Ivy league educated attorney sitting in the White House is absolutely clueless when it comes to American History; said Yosemite Sam.

    These corn-pone crackers are out of control.

      “These corn-pone crackers are out of control”

      Badly, really, really badly, out of control. Fucking wingnuts. :(

  • 1933john

    For some reason, I have the impression that Gohmert is, shall
    I say, a racist motherfucker.

  • BadSaratoga

    Unbelievable.