Morning Awesome

The Charge of the 20th Maine – From Gettysburg

150 years ago today: Day Two of the Battle of Gettysburg. My great-great-grandfather, R.B. Davis of the 155th Pennsylvania was positioned on another section of Little Round Top while this charge (and other similar charges) took place to defend the Union army’s left flank.

This entry was posted in Civil War, Morning Awesome and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Ipecac

    I was reading my wife’s Facebook page last night and an old high school friend, a very conservative, religious type, was responding to someone’s remembrance of Gettysburg. His response was something like, “We owe those men, of both sides, a huge debt of gratitude.”

    It really rubbed me the wrong way. Americans don’t owe the Confederate troops a damn thing except our scorn. They betrayed the country, leading to the deaths of a half million Americans, to perpetuate slavery. Screw them.

    And that’s why I’m not on Facebook.