Quote of the Day

Longest quote ever? I don’t care. I’m quoting all of it.

They do this to demonstrate that government cannot work. They do this so that they can go home and talk at all the town halls and bean suppers to audiences choking on the venom that pours out of their radios and off their television screens about how government doesn’t work, and how they stood tall against it, and against Those People who don’t want to work for a living. (When Stutzman says he’s a “fourth-generation farmer” who doesn’t want the Farm Bill to be a “welfare bill,” the folks back in LaGrange County don’t need an Enigma machine to decode what he’s saying.) They do this out of the bent notion, central to their party’s presidential campaign last fall, that anyone on any kind of government assistance is less entitled to the benefits of the political commonwealth. And they all believe that; the only difference between Paul Ryan and Marlin Stutzman is that Ryan has been a nuisance for a longer period of time. That the country rose up and rejected that notion in a thundering manner is irrelevant. What does the country matter in the Third Congressional District of Indiana? There, they believe government cannot work, and they elect Marlin Stutzman to the Congress to demonstrate to the world that it cannot.

Our Congress is now a cut-rate circus with nothing but eunuchs as performers. Some of these people, like Stutzman and his colleagues in the flying-monkey caucus, become eunuchs by choice. Some of them, like John Boehner, are drafted into the position. Their job is to be forcibly impotent so that the government itself becomes forcibly impotent. They are proud of what they do. They consider it a higher calling to public service that they decline to serve the public. They sing a soprano dirge for democracy in Jesus’s name, amen. -Charles Pierce on the Flying Monkey Caucus and the Farm Bill

I reserve the right to borrow “flying-monkey caucus” at some point in the future.

(Presented by mortgage refinance calculator)
This entry was posted in Congress, Crazy Caucus, Food, Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • dominickJ

    Great, GREAT Quote. No matter how long–it’s right on point!!!

  • http://www.createsuccessseminars.com/ weshopper

    That’s the best two paragraphs I’ve read in a long time. And I also have made a note to use “flying monkey caucus” at the first opportunity.

  • D_C_Wilson

    (When Stutzman says he’s a “fourth-generation farmer” who doesn’t want
    the Farm Bill to be a “welfare bill,” the folks back in LaGrange County
    don’t need an Enigma machine to decode what he’s saying.) They do this
    out of the bent notion, central to their party’s presidential campaign
    last fall, that anyone on any kind of government assistance is less
    entitled to the benefits of the political commonwealth.

    And yet strangely, this category of people does not include anyone collecting farm subsidies or corporate welfare.

  • muselet

    Charlie Pierce may have some opinions I don’t share (not this one, to be clear), but damn! the man can write.

    –alopecia

  • blackdaug

    Republicans …screeching about government not working…then getting elected and proving it. When republicans win …we all lose.

  • trgahan

    “Their job is to be forcibly impotent so that the government itself becomes forcibly impotent.”

    I have always thought one of President Obama’s biggest “sins” was how American citizens began to believe in government again after his election. Low voter turnout is the cornerstone of the far right power from the social conservatives to the faux-libertarians.

    Since 2010, congress’s primary job has been to turn people off again. They need to re-convince that voting margin Democrats have been winning that government, especially a progressive government run by one of THOSE, is simultaneously laughably ineffective and wasteful while also so powerfully conniving it can enslave Real Americans in a heartbeat.

    At this juncture in backwards logic a small oligarchy rules while laughing at the people who buy their arguments, think disengagement is suddenly a principled stance, and don’t vote accordingly.

  • 1933john

    I like to think of this as the “Fuck’in the Dog, House”.

  • Zen Diesel

    Flying Monkey Caucus certainly trumps my calling them the Insane Clown Republican Posse…..lol.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    The flying monkey caucus armed with it’s own shit.