Serious Business

Comprehensive immigration reform may be dead on arrival and the farm bill may still be languishing in purgatory, but let it not be said that House Republicans aren’t tackling our most pressing issues, such as Jay-Z and Beyonce traveling to Cuba.

The House Appropriations Committee approved a spending bill Wednesday containing a provision aimed at tightening travel restrictions to Cuba. Reps are calling it the “Jay-Z, Beyonce Bill,” referencing the “educational trip” the stars took to the country earlier this year (one that conveniently coincided with their fifth wedding anniversary). [...]

The provision is part of a $17 billion financial services spending bill that funds the operations of the Treasury Department, which approved Bey and Jay’s trip. Under this new legislation, travelers will have to be pursuing academic study in Cuba related to a degree program for their trip to be approved.

Anytime I feel like I haven’t accomplished very much on any given day, I can take one glance at the House of Representatives and suddenly feel better about myself.

This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “Anytime I feel like I haven’t accomplished very much on any given day, I can take one glance at the House of Representatives and suddenly feel better about myself.”

    (Perks up!)

    I scooped my cat box and thus improved the life of one of God’s creatures! I accomplished more today than the entire United States House of Representatives!

    This is fun!

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Today, I had a bowel movement and flushed. That was more productive than the Teabagger controlled House has done so far this year.

  • D_C_Wilson

    So, how many jobs will this create? I’m asking because Cantor said they’d be “focused like a laser” on job creation.