Snowden Applies for Asylum in Russia, Putin Says Stop Leaking

According to the Associated Press, NSA leaker Edward Snowden has officially applied for asylum in Russia, apparently after the Ecuador option collapsed. However, Vladimir says Snowden will only be allowed to stay in Russia if he stops leaking.

(Reuters) – President Vladimir Putin made starkly clear on Monday that Edward Snowden was not welcome in Russia, and voiced solidarity with the United States over the fugitive former U.S. spy agency contactor. [...]

“If he wants to stay here, there is one condition: He must stop his work aimed at harming our American partners, as strange as that sounds coming from my lips,” Putin told reporters after a gas exporters’ conference in Moscow.

It’s unclear if Russian authorities would actually deport Snowden if he continues to leak information, but it appears that he is running out of time and out of friends.

The reality is nothing Snowden has revealed is earth-shattering or game-changing. It’s a matter of routine for the countries of the world to spy on each other, but what usually goes unspoken becomes controversial when said aloud, forcing local statesmen to voice their displeasure. Sometimes this public war of words can escalate to the point where it threatens trade relations, which is why the country of Ecuador has backtracked on its support for Snowden.

For his part, it appears to me that Putin has left himself enough wiggle room that he will come out looking like the good guy regardless of what Snowden chooses to do.

This entry was posted in NSA, Security and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • blackdaug

    Well, he might be able to live out a comfortable life in Russia.
    Until some mobster decides he might actually have some salable information to be harvested.
    It’s all fun and games until it turns in to a bad Tarantino warehouse scene….in Moscow.

  • DHaradaStone

    Putin’s concern for his American “partners” is touching. Who knew he was such a softie?

  • ChrisAndersen

    I think this gets to something deeper about geo-politics that a lot of amateurs simply don’t understand: very little happens that the big players don’t already know about. You really think Russia, China and the EU have been shocked at any of the revelations on Snowden’s leaks? Please, I’m sure they have just as much bugs up our asses as we have up theirs (yes, even the British are spying on us). That’s just the way it happens.

    But they don’t want everyone else to know that is what is going on because it is better to be able to act publicly shocked when these kind of revelations come out (and then ask for favors behind the scenes in order to stop squawking about it).

    So why does Putin want Snowden to shut up? Because if he doesn’t then maybe someday a Russian version of Snowden will embarass them.

    • blackdaug

      I doubt Putin cares. He seemed perfectly happy to shove him on to the next plane to Ecuador, (until Ecuador said no mas) which kind of tells you how valuable his thumb drive of “truth” info is….
      Now he just wants to be able to show the Russian people that he supported the U.S. “dissident”..without pissing off the U.S. State Dept. . ..too much.
      This guy is three stooges movie in progress….

    • MrDHalen

      This!!!

      Also, one other big item: TRADE. Is what he got worth the possible trade headaches down the line? Seems like no!

    • inversion

      Snowden is an intelligence asset. He’s not a disciplined intelligence asset, however what he knows benefits some security apparatus.

  • villemar

    He’s of no use to them once they’ve copied his drives, which I’m sure they have already (which is why China didn’t want him once they got his drives), other than perhaps as a bargaining chip. But, although I hate to make the comparison for obvious reasons, I’m reminded of Lee Harvey Oswald during his stay in the USSR…things were okay for a little while until he got all bored and depressed, cutting his wrists and being all emo. I’m sure this narcissist will fuck up his stay, if he does indeed stay and isn’t traded back to the US as barter for something they want.

    • blackdaug

      ….and the Soviets gave Oswald a cushy state paid factory job.
      Now Snowden is in the new gangster capitalist Russia…on his own.
      He is going to need money to pay security to keep enterprising kidnappers away……
      He may be heading for the U.S. embassy before too long.

      • villemar

        And if there’s anything else they think they might have missed, lol, we know he likes the nubile hotties, so he’d be the easiest person in all of recorded human history to honeypot. He’d sing like Caruso. Not that this narcissist has really any filter between what he thinks and what he says, but still it would be funny. Fish in a barrel.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    “Hello, Kim Jong Un? Yeah, this is Edward Snowden. I was wondering if you got some place for a computer hacker that turned over U.S. secrets to crash out in your glorious country of North Korea. I don’t take up too much space, and I eat very little. Waddya say, Kimmy?”

  • blackdaug

    “While the public has cried out support of my shining a light on this secret system of injustice, the Government of the United States of America responded with an extrajudicial man-hunt costing me my family, my freedom to travel, and my right to live peacefully without fear of illegal aggression” – Edard “Ned” Snowden

    Stop persecuting him America! He must be allowed to continue shitting his pants freely, and unencumbered by the terrible oppression of having his passport revoked!

    Yeah….I’m pretty much back to just wanting to punch him…..

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    The big boys get to play politics to ‘their home town audiences’ with Snowden, even though they all knew what was going on within each of their intelligence (spying) organizations. When Greenwald releases his book and makes millions, Snowden is gonna one pissed off little puppy for playing the chump.

  • js hooper

    All i can do is shake my fuckin head. I love the way Putin phrased his statement…

    “He must stop his work aimed at harming our American partners”

    That’s exactly what Snowden and Greenwald’s agenda has been from day one.I find it hilarious that the Russians basically told Snowden that they are bored with his bullshit and that he can stay if he plays with himself in the corner.

    This makes Snowden, Greenwald and their fan club look so pathetic. A scumbag like Putin holds Snowden’s future in his hands.Couldn’t have planned it better myself.