The Tea Party Wants to Criminalize Rape Victims Who Have Abortions

Yes, really.

Scottie Nell Hughes is the Director of the Tea Party News Network. And as an extreme conservative, she shares the same twisted views of anti-abortion fanatics. During a July 11th appearance on Viewpoint with John Fugelsang on Current TV, Hughes said that rape victims who end resulting pregnancies should be punished in the same manner as their rapists.

I’ll give her one thing: at least she admitted what many conservatives secretly believe.

This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Treading_Water

    If abortion is murder, then it’s likely that the victim would actually get a harsher sentence than the rapist.

    Justice teahadist style.

  • MaryJane Mccarthy James

    “Blame the real victim”. The culture of hate from the GEOPIGS AND TEA HATERS CLEARLY SHOWS WHAT SCUM AND COWARDS THEY ARE.

  • trgahan

    Aren’t her Tea Party “extreme conservative” credentials now at risk for even admitting that rape is a criminal in the first place? That will make their heads explode.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    They’re just going to keep flaunting that id until the fundraising dries up. As long as this sells, as long as it wins them votes and campaign donations, and there’s no price to pay for it, the awfulness will continue.

  • Christopher Foxx

    This is an opinion that could only be expressed by someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. There is no way someone who actually “gets” what rape is could ever suggest a victim should share the fate of the criminal who raped them.

    The only way to do so is to actively and obstinately avoid knowing what you’re talking about. “No, I’ve never read that book, not even a synopsis of it. But I still know it should be banned.”

    They know that if they actually have to actually understand what they’re talking about, that reality and morality will show that what they want to believe is wrong. Hence the adamant embracing of ignorance that “conservatives” constantly trumpet.

  • muselet

    The key part of the video (at the link—this is my transcript, since Addicting Info, to my mind misleadingly, cut out a couple of exchanges):

    FUGELSANG: Let’s say Roe v. Wade is overturned and abortion becomes illegal. If a woman is raped and she goes to a doctor, and the doctor terminates the pregnancy, please tell me who deserves the longest jail sentence. The rapist, the doctor or the woman? In order.

    HUGHES: But here’s the question …

    FUSELANG: No, I’m asking you.

    [CROSSTALK]

    HUGHES: And here’s the answer to that. If it’s medically needed to have that abortion, and the doctor does it …

    FUGELSANG: Not medically needed. She doesn’t want to raise her rapist’s child, she wants …

    HUGHES: Did she ask her—did the doctor ask her before she did it?

    FUGELSANG: Yep. And the doctor did it, as doctors will do if Roe v. Wade is overturned. Rich ladies will have no problem whatsoever terminating pregnancies, poor women will go to more Gosnells. So who deserves the longest jail sentence?

    HUGHES: Across the board, then.

    FUGELSANG: All three of them?

    HUGHES: Go for it.

    (5:20–5:57 on the video)

    The only thing surprising about this video is Scottie Hughes’s bluntness. Fetus fetishists—the prominent ones, at least—have become adept at deflecting questions like this by changing the subject or answering a different question. Hughes tried to ask and answer a question more to her liking, but—to his credit—John Fugelsang didn’t let her.

    We are horrified by what Hughes said, but Righties will be delighted that someone finally spoke truth to power.

    –alopecia

  • LeShan Jones

    This sounds like those cases in the middle east where a woman who gets raped gets thrown in jail for having sex with someone she’s not married to.
    It’s like I’ve been saying, the tealiban isn’t really against sharia law, they’re just mad they didn’t think of it first.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I’m surprised she didn’t to tack on a charge for filing a false police report since it obviously wasn’t “legitimate rape.”

  • linusbern

    She sounds like kind of a liberal on the issue, after all, if the woman and the doctor abort a fetus, that’s murder, whereas the rapist just did a bit of rapin, (possibly even legitimate rape) Surely the doctor and the woman should get death while the rapist should get… well let’s not ruin a boys life over a bit of horseplay that got out of hand, she shouldn’t dress like that anyway.

    (arksnay)