What Could Go Wrong?

I have a feeling we’re about to find out. And the fact that a K-12 school district is arming teachers may not be the worst part.

A small Arkansas school district is arming and training 20 volunteer teachers and staff with handguns for fall classes to become the first in the state to make use of a little-known state law that allows licensed, armed security guards on campus. [...]

Under the new program, 20 volunteers have undergone 53 hours of training in time for fall classes and will be armed with 9mm handguns.

“We’re not just talking about passing out guns to whoever. We’re putting people through some very rigorous training,” Hopkins says.

Participants in the program are given a one-time $1,100 stipend to purchase a handgun and holster. Hopkins says the district is paying about $50,000 for ammunition and for training at a private training facility.

$50,000 for ammunition and training plus $1,100 per teacher for purchasing a handgun for a total of $72,000.

And for what? To accidentally discharge their weapon in the classroom some day? To accidentally leave it in the bathroom?

We can’t afford to give our children a proper education or adequately pay teachers for the hell we put them through, but apparently we can afford $72,000 for guns in the classroom.

This entry was posted in Education, Guns and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lazarus Durden

    If I was the Teachers Union I would demand a raise based on hazard pay. They have a to carry a firearm right? What about background checks now that we’re arming them? Police Officers have to go through one before going to the Police Academy both criminal and psychological. Probably have to do that with teachers as well.

    Yeah those figures are just the beginning.

    • BillAndersoot

      At the very least they should get teachers’ pay plus security guard pay.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      A pay raise for hazardous duty?!! Fucking greedy Teachers Union, always putting their selfish interests first, never thinking of the children!!!

  • BillAndersoot

    By “training”, I hope they’re referring to tactical training. You know, like how not to shoot a kid accidentally when you’re aiming at a bad guy. And how, most of the time, the gun in your hand is probably going to get you killed. That sort of thing.

  • mrbrink

    Eat lead, America.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Oh, goody. SO now the next time someone decides to shoot up a school, they won’t have to waste time going home to get their gun. They can just use the one the school bought them.

    How efficient.

  • blackdaug

    So if a bucket list is composed of places you want to see, and things you want to do, before you die: What is the opposite list called?
    I need to find out, because the list of places I don’t want to see and things I don’t want to do, is growing so fast (Go to Arkansas…already on list….. be within bullet range of any school..now added)….I need a name for it.
    Maybe “fucket list?

    • Jone_of_Snark

      Seconded. However, I am now required to use Fucket List in a sentence sometime today. Need to find a wingnut.

    • Bubble Genius

      I’m that way with just about every neighborhood in NYC – soon I won’t have to go back at all. I’ve already got FL, TX, NC and AZ on my Fucket List, adding AR is no biggie.