What War on Women?

2013 is shaping up to be another banner year for those seeking to limit the bodily autonomy of women, with state lawmakers passing 106 provisions during the first six months of the year to limit reproductive freedom.

In the first six months of this year, state legislatures have already enacted 106 provisions related to reproductive health and rights, according to a new report from the Guttmacher Institute. That includes 43 provisions restricting abortion access — as many as were enacted during the entire year in 2012.

2011 was a record-breaking year for new abortion restrictions, with a staggering 80 different anti-abortion provisions enacted in the first six months. At this midway point, 2013 has seen the second-highest number of abortion restrictions signed into law

It’s not a coincidence that fewer abortion laws were implemented in 2012 than in 2011 and 2013.

It may not seem like it at times, but abortion is not a winning issue for Republicans as far as elections go, and I suspect 2014 will be similar to 2012 in that there may be fewer abortion laws passed by state legislatures than during the previous and proceeding year.

Conservative lawmakers, both at the state and federal level, rely on the relative inattentiveness seen during years in which there are no major elections to pass laws that are controversial.

War on Women Fiction

“Now if the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars then every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, so then we’d have a problem with caterpillars. I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s a fiction.” -RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on the War on Women

This entry was posted in Abortion, Elections, Misogyny, War On Women and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Nevertheless, real women and children are suffering infringements on their liberties and being deprived of agency right now. I’ve not kept up with my state government like I thought I would, but my state is Oregon and it appears to be the only state that has not imposed additional restrictions on abortion since Roe vs. Wade. My correspondence with my federal representatives is for the most part limited to thanks and suggestions.

    It’s a mistake to focus on national Republican leaders as the measure of future progress. Women are suffering oppressive laws right now that are an abomination and evidence that women in this country need an Emancipation Proclamation to free ourselves from reproductive slavery.

  • Zen Diesel

    Isn’t it quite the coincidence, that the so called smaller government legislations in the red states all seem to be the same, limit abortions to 6 or 20 weeks, fetuses can feel pain, vaginal probes, and legislation to make it impossible for clinics remain open. I hope the female vote ride these self righteous clowns out of office in 2014 and 2016.

    • dbtheonly

      There are networks promoting the legislation & providing sample bills for introduction to the various legislatures.

      It’s organized. Don’t fool yourself.

      • Zen Diesel

        Not fooled at all, the legislations reek of Alec and other organizations like them.

        The Personhood Initiative. Check out their pack of outrageous lies they base on irrelevant information and medical ignorance; and their dead, brutal, murderous desire to keep women with ectopic pregnancies in hospital, feeding them their own blood until they magically, mystically, mysteriously and miraculously produce a healthy infant. It’s a death sentence.

        They’re all mad.

        http://www.personhoodinitiative.com/debate-10.html

  • Alyson Chadwick

    Are you sharing my brain? I have a piece on that and was waiting to hit “publish” until I got one more statement. You are awesome.