Texas Republicans Introduce Another Abortion Bill

Texas Governor Rick Perry signed a ban on abortion after 20 weeks into law today at 9:30 a.m., and within hours state Republicans introduced another bill, HB59, to ban abortions as early as six weeks.

TXAbortion6Weeks

As ThinkProgress points out, detecting a heartbeat after six weeks requires the use of a transvaginal ultrasound.

So-called “heartbeat” bills are so radical that they divide the anti-choice community. In addition to criminalizing the vast majority of abortions, they also mandate invasive ultrasound procedures for women seeking abortions. In order to detect a fetal heartbeat so early in a pregnancy, doctors typically have to use a transvaginal probe.

More than an ban on abortion after six weeks, this could also be described as a mandate for transvaginal probes.

The bill was introduced by State Representatives Phil King (R), Dan Flynn (R), and Geanie Morrison (R) who will have until July 31st, when the current special legislative session ends, to pass it. Governor Rick Perry called the current special session after their attempt to pass the 20 week abortion ban was thwarted by Wendy Davis during the first special session.

Could there be a third?

War on Women Fiction

“Now if the Democrats said we had a war on caterpillars then every mainstream media outlet talked about the fact that Republicans have a war on caterpillars, so then we’d have a problem with caterpillars. I mean, the fact of the matter is it’s a fiction.” -RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on the War on Women

This entry was posted in Abortion, Rick Perry, War On Women and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • 1933john

    Do caterpillars eat asparagus?

    Man, I’m getting more perplexed by the minute!

    Maybe there are more nutcases out here than I thought possible,

    that eat this shit up.

  • missliberties

    Has anyone looked into who manufactures these transvaginal ultra-sound devices.

    It’s pretty clear that the right wing of the GOP is itching for a fight and wants to take this all the way to the SC.

      Just in case you were worried that noone could make a mint on the new abortion restrictions in Texas, Rick Perry’s sister could make out like a bandit on the requirement that abortion clinics be equipped like ambulatory surgical centers which have nada to do with abortions.

      …one of the controversial tenets of the abortion
      restriction bill would require all abortions to be performed in
      ambulatory surgical centers, which are a distinct type of healthcare
      facility set up for outpatient surgeries…

      … One company that will be faced with
      that decision is United Surgical Partners International, based in
      Addison, TX. Their vice-president of government affairs is Milla
      Perry Jones, Gov. Rick Perry’s sister. She is also on the board of
      the Texas Ambulatory Surgical Center Society. It should be noted that
      the legislation now under consideration by the Texas Legislature is
      patterned after proposals that have been adopted in other states, so
      it did not originate with Gov. Perry’s office.

      http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/07/perrys-sister-an-advocate-for-ambulatory-surgical-centers/

  • gescove

    Jesus H. Christ in a sidecar. I really do not understand the minds or the frenzied labor of these zealots. Do they do anything else with their time?

  • D_C_Wilson

    My guess is that someone told them the 20 week ban wouldn’t be enough to get the Supreme Court’s attention, so now they’re going to six weeks.

    Never forget that for them, the big prize is always a shot at getting Roe v. Wade overturned.