Worst Persons in the World

Wal-Mart. For this.

Walmart has decided to cancel plans for at least two of its planned D.C. stores in response to the living wage bill passed by the D.C. Council last month, according to Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander.

“Walmart is pulling out of Skyland and Capitol Gateway, and I’m pissed off,” says Alexander, referring to the company’s two planned stores in Ward 7. Alexander says Walmart representatives just visited her office and made the announcement that they are pulling out of stores they have not yet started. The company will soon send out a press release, she says.

The company has actively opposed the Large Retailer Accountability Act of 2013, which would require large retailers with stores over 75,000 square feet and parent companies grossing at least $1 billion per year to pay a “living wage” of $12.50 an hour, minus benefits. The bill still needs to be approved by the Council on a second vote tomorrow and signed by the mayor before it takes effect. But according to Alexander, the company does not expect the mayor to veto it, nor does she think Walmart is bluffing in order to stir up opposition to the legislation.

We don’t want to pay people a living wage, so we’ll just take our ball and go home.

Screwing American workers is the new patriotism.

(Presented by amortization schedule calculator)
This entry was posted in Jobs, Worst Persons and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Joyce M

    I stopped shopping at Hellmart years ago. I didn’t like the way they treated their employees. They are probably doing the same to their suppliers. The result of Walmart’s cost cutting–empty shelves. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-26/customers-flee-wal-mart-empty-shelves-for-target-costco.html & http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-28/walmart-faces-the-cost-of-cost-cutting-empty-shelves

    Walmart is not invincible. I remember K-mart, Woolworth and Globe. These stores were the forerunners of Walmart. Walmart was able to grow because they were subsidized by local communities in the form of Medicaid, food stamps and housing assistance to their employees. Meanwhile, Walmart loses billions in Japan and now will lose money in a bribery scandal in Mexico. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/27/us-walmart-bribes-losses-idUSBRE92Q01I20130327

    • trgahan

      Don’t forget the local governments who piled on the tax credits and spend millions on associated infrasture just to get Walmart to open a store in their area in the first place.
      Their “success,” like all big box stores for the last decade, was based purely on growth. By 2006 the tax payer funded incentives basically made it free for Walmart to open each store. Since 2010, the growth has slowed significantly, same store sales are flat or falling, and their value as company is tanking.

    Can I just say I strongly disliked Walmart before and now that’s become exponentially increased to despising them. Selfish, greedy a$$hat$

  • Kennet

    I can only assume this is actually because nobody in the Walton family has heard of an amount of money under $100,000 and are fearful of what they don’t understand. “What is this $12.50? Soon we’ll be left in our mansions with our servers, solid diamond cutlery, and personal physicians – all to rot while the poors have all the $12.50s.”

  • zirgar

    Well, to be fair, Walmart has to pump all of its money into the coffers of all 500 Walton brats so they each can remain tied at 6 in the Top Ten Wealthiest, Hardest Working, We Totally Earned Our Dad’s Money So Fuck You, Assholes in America. Who are we to judge?

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Well I guess that’s two DC areas that won’t be forced to have Chinese outlet stores exploiting Americans.
    Now how do we get rid of the rest?

  • MrDHalen

    Goodbye!!! This will probably save a few small businesses.

  • Ned F

    $12.50 an hour? What’s next, health care? The next thing they’ll be asking for is child care. How can any business make a profit with these demands?

  • blackdaug

    Christmas 2012.

    Walmart Corporate Headquarters…
    Sister Fuck, Arkansas:

    Just dropping this annual line to let you know, this month, I will be celebrating my 11th consecutive year of not setting foot in one of your slave denizen cathedrals to greed.
    As always, Happy Holidays…and screw you and all your inbred Walton hell spawn.
    ….and oh yeah. Pay somebody! As a taxpayer, I resent having to subsidize your company by feeding the employees you don’t feel are worth paying a decent wage.
    Oh…and the slave labor force you employ for literally tens of dollars a week, in far off foreign hell holes salutes you in a similar fashion…..middle fingers in air.

    Signed
    An American

  • drsquid

    You act like them pulling out of DC is a bad thing.

    St. Louis had something similar with K-Mart in 2000. They said that they wanted to move to this busy but empty corner, and if you don’t fork over the tax credits, we’ll close the existing store and leave. They left, and now both sites, while not full, are doing better than K-Mart ever did or would. You can always tell a K-Mart by its big and empty parking lot.