American Born Terrorist, Or Political Martyr?

Adam Gadahn, a California-born convert to taking up arms against America, who now goes by the Islamic fundamentalist handle of Azzam al-Amriki, has released a statement, evidently, calling for the bombings of U.S. embassies and the killings of U.S. citizens and diplomats.

I’m no national security expert, but, as an American-born al Qaeda militant, I think this puts Adam Gadahn directly at odds with national security and firmly in the camp of the Anti-Obama left. Strange bedfellows, and all that. I’ll elaborate below.

In a 39-minute video lobbying wealthy donors in the Arab world to fund this latest jihad-epiphany, Azzam al-Amriki said,

“These prizes have a great effect in instilling fear in the hearts of our cowardly enemies,” Gadahn said, according to SITE.

“They also encourage hesitant individuals to carry out important and great deeds in the path of Allah.”

This is the guy who, on the anniversary of the September 11th attacks last year, basically said that President Obama was a liar, America is at war with Islam, and Anwar al-Awlaki is a martyr for the cause of spreading Islamic fundamentalism. The pouting Left’s version of “it’s all just some bullshit hassle, man!”

I’d say he’s upped his ante and is now all-in at the terrorist round table with his latest press release.

Since 2004, the FBI has been trying to bring this guy to justice, adding “treason” to the indictment list, a rare charge, as it has only been brought up once in over 50 years, but the FBI‘s got the goods:

Adam Yahiye Gadahn was indicted in the Central District of California for treason and material support to Al Qaeda. The charges are related to Gadahn’s alleged involvement in a number of terrorist activities, including providing aid and comfort to Al Qaeda and services for Al Qaeda.

The State Department under George W. Bush offered $1 million for information leading to the arrest of al-Amriki.

When I was researching al-Amriki, I wasn’t surprised to find an article written by Glenn Greenwald back in 2006 cultivating a conspiracy theory that questions the motives of labeling American-born al Qaeda taking up arms against the country an act of treason, but in retrospect, it all makes sense. I remember reading Greenwald for years. He has a knack for presenting vague and fringe concerns in the militant language of a We-The-People’s Liberation Army manifesto that reads like an ecstasy-fueled night at a poetry slam, as read by a close-talking, over-caffeinated John Cusack. But it was right around this time in reading his stuff that I think I began to feel manipulated and led astray. I was physically repulsed by the Bush administration, but in that piece, Greenwald was already well on his way to publishing self-debunking articles. Here, he tries to clarify, after providing all the speculative reasoning to the contrary, that he believes al-Amriki is worthy of a treason charge, even though he’s not, you know, worthy of a treason charge. The seeds of time wasting, wanna-be professorial exercises in unremarkable sensationalism were being sown around this time.

And I wasn’t at all surprised to find that in 2009, The Daily Paul, virtual homestead to the gold-standard-bearers in all-things civil liberties and your freedoms! ran with a story, entitled, “It’s Official: Al-Qaeda Spokesman Adam Gadahn(a.k.a. Pearlman)Is SCION Of Jewish ADL.”

To quote:

Even the (Jewish-run) mainstream media now admits that ‘Adam Ghadan’ — an ‘Al-Qaeda’ spokesman known for making absurd calls-to-arms against ‘infidels’ and ‘Zio-Crusaders’ — is, in fact, the grandson of a prominent board member of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League

These strange bedfellows get less strange all the time. I’m sure we’ll all rue the day if Adam Ghadan, a.k.a. Azzam al-Amriki, a.k.a. U.S. Foreign Policy Whistleblower, a.k.a. The Jew-Run Media Plant ever slips and falls on a drone strike.

This entry was posted in Civil liberties, Crazy Caucus, Far-right Intellectual Violence, Foreign Policy, Glenn Greenwald, Justice, Liberalism, Quote, Racism, Rand Paul, Republican Party, Security, Terrorism, Wingnuts, Worse than Bush and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Strange bedfellows is putting it mildly.

    All the Paulbots sound so very anti-American almost as if they are cheering on the terrorists. Their goals seem similar. Blowing up the US figuratively speaking because evil empire, spying etc. etc.

  • blackdaug

    T-shirts with his visage available for pre-order at wikileaks any day now.
    …or as soon as he hops in a car with a bunch of fellow “freedom fighters” and goes to meet up with the promised bevy of virgins to defile.

  • ChrisAndersen

    “I’m no national security expert, but, as an American-born al Qaeda militant, I think this puts Adam Gadahn directly at odds with national security and firmly in the camp of the Anti-Obama left. Strange bedfellows, and all that.”

    I think this is a dangerous trail of thought to follow. It is no better really than someone calling you a supporter of right-wing authoritarians simply because you question the latest prognostications from the prophet Greenwald.

    Let’s not fall into the trap of assuming that being anti-Obama is of a kind with taking up arms against America.

    (And if you were only joking when you said this than consider that maybe it wasn’t a very good joke.)

    • Nick2000

      I had to double check the web address make sure i was not on the onion or on redstate. Frankly i am not too sure what to think of it except that my first thought was that the author needs help…

      • mrbrink

        You should double check whether or not al-Amriki is actually a Jew-Run media plant, as The Daily Paul has endorsed. While you’re at it double check Greenwald to see where he stands on al-Awlaki.

        There are all sorts of reasons and excuses to throw in with this Glenn Greenwald/Rand Paul conspiracy theory brand of anti-government/anti-Obama propaganda, what’s yours? It’s “the truth,” isn’t it?

        • Nick2000

          Way to jump to conclusions… The fact that I find these over reactions puzzling does not mean that, somehow, I “sympathize with your enemy”… I am simply surprised by the greenwald derangement syndrome. I had stopped reading him many years ago when he started becoming really annoying. As an apart, I have no idea who holds the truth but, as Indiana jones said, you should check with the philosophy department (unless I am not remembering it right). I am not trying to start a stupid shouting contest but merely pointing out that the tone of the article detracts from the actual point

          • mrbrink

            If my tone seems off, maybe it’s because the recurring circle of trust between the psycho Paul klan, Greenwald’s followers, and the growing band of international criminals and terrorists possesses a tone so unnerving on a language frequency so unique it could only be appreciated by me and The Thermians.

            It’s an ugly pot they stir. This is just a taste.

    • mrbrink

      I don’t fall into traps and your characterization is way off.

      You should ask yourself whether or not there will be an al-Awlaki defense of al-Amriki from the Rand Paul right and Greenwald left not if, but when, he’s killed or captured, and if not, why not? That’s the substantive question.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Ugh! I’m getting dizzy with all the spinning coming out of the Paulie/Greenwaldian, far left liberal/far right libertarian dick touching, square-peg-in-round-hole, thought process coming out of their tinfoiled lined heads.

  • Lady Willpower

    Sounds like Greenwald’s newest BFF.

  • muselet

    I know it’s tangential to the point, but I find this fascinating:

    “[Bounties on US ambassadors] also encourage hesitant individuals to carry out important and great deeds in the path of Allah,” he said, in an English transcript on SITE.

    First, Azzam al-Amriki comes right out and admits that folks won’t do those “important and great deeds” without a material reward. That should be an embarrassing admission.

    Second, al-Amriki wants others to do the dirty work of abducting or killing US diplomatic personnel. That should be an even more embarrassing admission. If those are such “important and great deeds,” why isn’t al-Amriki stocking up on plastique and cleaning his AK-47 while he awaits transportation to Yemen? Because it’s safer to hunker down in Pakistan and make videos, perhaps?

    Al-Qaeda is real and an occasionally dangerous nuisance. Azzam al-Amriki is basically an internet troll.

    –alopecia

  • Rita D. Lipshutz

    “I remember reading Greenwald for years. He has a knack for presenting vague and fringe concerns in the militant language of a We-The-People’s Liberation Army manifesto that reads like an ecstasy-fueled night at a poetry slam, as read by a close-talking, over-caffeinated John Cusack.”

    omfg, that is brilliant, and true! i really have tried to plow through his garbage so i can read “the other side” and it is torture. i’d like to think being a lousy and hyperbolic writer is why so few follow him but it really is why so many follow him. he knows even his most ardent followers cannot read all of his garbage all the way through and do it for actual comprehension, in fact he depends on it.