Dueling Narratives

They tell me Newark Mayor and senatorial candidate Cory Booker is a ‘crony capitalist’ beholden to the Obama agenda, and they tell me that President Obama has completely “rolled over to Wall Street,” but that won’t stop some of the president’s biggest critics from hosting a fundraiser for Booker alongside various media executives.

An all-star group of Hollywood’s biggest Democratic fundraisers are teaming up to raise money for Cory Booker’s U.S. Senate race on September 23, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Ron Burkle is set to host the event, with tickets ranging from $1,000 to $10,000, at his house with Matt Damon. Other co-hosts for the evening affair include Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner, Jerry Weintraub, JJ Abrams and wife Katie McGrath, Michael Eisner, Troy Carter, WME co-CEO Patrick Whitesell, talent agency head Bob Gersh, Disney exec Sean Bailey, Netflix’s Ted Sarandos and former US Ambassador Nicole Avant.

I support Cory Booker, flaws and all, so if a who’s who of administration critics want to donate money to his campaign, that’s great, but the dueling narratives at play here are remarkable.

One may get the idea that your entire premise is bullshit and something you simply say for media attention or to promote a movie.

This entry was posted in Cory Booker, Elections and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Anyone who takes his/her political cues from actors (or directors or talent agents or private equity magnates or …) is a special kind of dumb.

    It reminds me of the weeks following the 2004 elections when the moneyed left looked completely out of touch with the average American.
    The people attending these high end fund raisers (though some well-meaning) prosper regardless of who hold political power. The whole thing is a game of little consequence to them and it is more important to score media points by being hipster contrarian.

  • Christopher Foxx

    One may get the idea that your entire premise is bullshit and something you simply say for media attention or to promote a movie.

    I suspect for lot of them it’s hardly that opportunistic. Calculating that taking a political position because it will hope promote your movie requires thought be involved.