He’ll Never Stop Fighting

Abbot-JohnBranch

Artist – John Branch

In other news, a NOAA report released yesterday brought more bad news concerning global climate change.

It should be noted that a number of congressmen are currently trying to cut funding for NOAA and increase funding for severe weather warning systems in their home states instead.

Also — here’s Senator Tom Harkin dishing harsh reality.

“I’m not naming any names, but one senator got up from a southern state and said, ‘Well, you’ve got to understand that to my people down here, Obama seems like he’s exotic,’” Harkin told the newspaper. “That he’s just exotic, he doesn’t share our values.”

Asked if he could name another American era as polarizing as today, Harkin said “Sure — the Civil War.”

This entry was posted in Open Thread, Racism and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lady Willpower

    “The Civil War.”

    I’m assuming ol’ Tom doesn’t like the way that one ended.

  • blackdaug

    It was 110 degrees in the shade of my front porch yesterday afternoon at this time.
    …..and in keeping with today’s theme, here are some desert racists harrassing the President;:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/obama-protesters-arizona_n_3719050.html
    oops, you already covered that. So….never mind.

  • blackdaug

    While trying to delete that comment below, I discovered that Jesus General is back!
    This sucky day just got better….nobody tells me anything.
    http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-righteous-rantings-of.html#disqus_thread

  • nathkatun7

    ““I’m not naming any names, but one senator got up from a southern state and said, ‘Well, you’ve got to understand that to my people down here, Obama seems like he’s exotic,’” Harkin told the newspaper. “That he’s just exotic, he doesn’t share our values.”

    I hear this “doesn’t share our values” from the right wingers all the time; but they never specify the values he doesn’t share, compared to other Democrats like the Clinton, Harkin, Biden, and even Dennis Kucinich. Surely it’s not because he does enjoy baseball, hot dogs and apple pie; because he does. The last time I checked he is a good family man who reads the bible and attends church. Like most Presidents before him he seems to enjoy the game of golf which probably allows to relax and re-charge his batteries to tackle the hard stuff of governing the most powerful country.

    In the end, it’s really not that hard to decode what they really mean when they say “…he’s exotic, he doesn’t share our values.” Here “exotic” and “values” are code words for race. But, of course, they will deny, until the end of times, that it’s race they are talking about.

    The only racists left in America, as far as the haters of Obama are concerned, are only those who point out that the visceral, and quite vicious, hatred of President Obama is driven by racism – what I prefer to call the ideology of white supremacy. So, for those who see the President as “exotic,” It’s Barack Obama and his supporters who are racists and not them.

    As to this era being similar to the Civil War era Sen. Harkin may be right. The civil war was about the South’s determination to maintain the slave system based on cheap black labor. At the heart of today’s polarization, the underlying cause appears to be a determination, on the part of a great many white people, maintain white supremacy.

    Interestingly, Southerners vehemently asserted that they were fighting for freedom. Basically, the freedom to continue the enslavement of black people. Today, the freedom loving tea parties and others are fighting for the freedom to take their country back, some say back to the days of the”Founding Fathers.” In other words, they are fighting to preserve white supremacy. That is why to them President Obama is “exotic”; he does not look like the previous 43 presidents.

    • dbtheonly

      Indeed,

      “Southerners vehemently asserted that they were fighting for freedom.”

      Exactly true. But freedom to do what? Hold Blacks in bondage. The “freedom” argument just moves things back another step.

      BTW, President Obama’s hair seems to be graying & so will be looking like the previous 43 soon enough. Yes, I know about Reagan, but he colored his hair.

  • trgahan

    yeap…it is all about fiscal responsibility in government, never about race.