Holder Delivers Sobering Indictment of Our Justice System

Attorney General Eric Holder delivered remarks to the American Bar Association today and he called for an end to mandatory minimum sentencing. He also delivered an harsh critique of the current state of our justice system as a whole.

You can read his full remarks here at the Department of Justice, but this part in particular stands out to me. And it is long overdue.

As the so-called “war on drugs” enters its fifth decade, we need to ask whether it, and the approaches that comprise it, have been truly effective – and build on the Administration’s efforts, led by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, to usher in a new approach. And with an outsized, unnecessarily large prison population, we need to ensure that incarceration is used to punish, deter, and rehabilitate – not merely to warehouse and forget.

Today, a vicious cycle of poverty, criminality, and incarceration traps too many Americans and weakens too many communities. And many aspects of our criminal justice system may actually exacerbate these problems, rather than alleviate them.

It’s clear – as we come together today – that too many Americans go to too many prisons for far too long, and for no truly good law enforcement reason. It’s clear, at a basic level, that 20th-century criminal justice solutions are not adequate to overcome our 21st-century challenges. And it is well past time to implement common sense changes that will foster safer communities from coast to coast.

More

As we come together this morning, this same promise must lead us all to acknowledge that – although incarceration has a significant role to play in our justice system – widespread incarceration at the federal, state, and local levels is both ineffective and unsustainable. It imposes a significant economic burden – totaling $80 billion in 2010 alone – and it comes with human and moral costs that are impossible to calculate.

As a nation, we are coldly efficient in our incarceration efforts. While the entire U.S. population has increased by about a third since 1980, the federal prison population has grown at an astonishing rate – by almost 800 percent. It’s still growing – despite the fact that federal prisons are operating at nearly 40 percent above capacity. Even though this country comprises just 5 percent of the world’s population, we incarcerate almost a quarter of the world’s prisoners. More than 219,000 federal inmates are currently behind bars. Almost half of them are serving time for drug-related crimes, and many have substance use disorders. Nine to 10 million more people cycle through America’s local jails each year. And roughly 40 percent of former federal prisoners – and more than 60 percent of former state prisoners – are rearrested or have their supervision revoked within three years after their release, at great cost to American taxpayers and often for technical or minor violations of the terms of their release.

As a society, we pay much too high a price whenever our system fails to deliver outcomes that deter and punish crime, keep us safe, and ensure that those who have paid their debts have the chance to become productive citizens. Right now, unwarranted disparities are far too common. As President Obama said last month, it’s time to ask tough questions about how we can strengthen our communities, support young people, and address the fact that young black and Latino men are disproportionately likely to become involved in our criminal justice system – as victims as well as perpetrators.

We also must confront the reality that – once they’re in that system – people of color often face harsher punishments than their peers. One deeply troubling report, released in February, indicates that – in recent years – black male offenders have received sentences nearly 20 percent longer than those imposed on white males convicted of similar crimes. This isn’t just unacceptable – it is shameful. It’s unworthy of our great country, and our great legal tradition. And in response, I have today directed a group of U.S. Attorneys to examine sentencing disparities, and to develop recommendations on how we can address them.

It’s going to be ugly — in fact it already is — but it can’t be overstated how important this overdue conversation will be. And hold onto your butts, because things are going to become a lot more racist before they get better.

This entry was posted in Justice, Prison Industrial Complex and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Of course, on Planet Wingnuttia, this is will be cited as proof that Holder is a member of the New Black Panthers Party.

    • JMAshby

      And on the far left, they said it wasn’t good enough before he even finished speaking.

      Never mind that what he said is more or less unprecedented for a sitting attorney general. This is new territory.

      • Rita D. Lipshutz

        you are so right, i can’t tell you how many comments i saw, even from supposed supporters, that boiled down to “it’s about time, what took him so long?” i also argued with an idiot (for the last time, i give up on this guy) who blames all the overt racial division and threats since POTUS was elected on him and holder for “not doing enough about it,” and he called holder “the weakest AG in history.” sigh…

          Some people need to get a job. That speech is something I’m going to read again and again. It’s full of light. There is a collective greatness in it. Focusing on prosecuting violent crime, having a policy to focus on violent offenders instead of imprisoning people for infractions , ending “the war on drugs”, ending the school to prison pipeline, ditching “zero-tolerance”* policies, and so on. He hit all the notes— I can’t think of anything he missed as far as the bad policies and discrimination that make the U.S. the world’s largest penal colony.

          This is visionary and tactically doable. I want to see more spent on this project. Sure, the Pugs would rather see the DOJ working in the dark with a skeleton crew than see a lot of minority and poor voters who could vote for Democrats before the 2014 midterms; but if Eric Holder’s DOJ can’t stop them then I don’t think anyone could.

          * someone didn’t understand what “tolerance” means

        • Christopher Foxx

          “it’s about time, what took him so long?”

          It is a fair question. (And a different sentiment than the “It’s about time and this doesn’t go far enough” one hears from the never-satisfied far left.) He has been Attorney General for over 4 years and is only now catching on to the fact our current system traps folks in a vicious cycle of poverty, criminality, and incarceration?

          Bravo for him speaking out about it now. And I hope something substantive actually comes from it. But given that it has taken this long for Obama and Holder to speak out about the situation some cynicism about how much they’re actually going to do to change it is not unwarranted.

  • mr spork

    The for-profit prison industry is gonna disagree.

      As in most things, big business and the right will agree to oppose any kind of reforms that reduce the prison population. I actually think that allowing the privatization of prisons (and schools) will be key factors in the decline of democracy in this country. I’ve been saying it for about 15 years now and not many people have been listening.

  • mrbrink

    In a word: Empathy.

    This is the approach to justice this country has been literally crying and dying to know since reefer madness was born.

    I can’t remember another Attorney General ever saying anything as brilliant as this. Ever. maybe Bobby Kennedy?

    The revolution is being televised. In the open. Look at it, people. You’ve never seen this shit before. This would sound so fucking smooth on vinyl.

    Your move, Edmund Randolph.

    • JMAshby

      This would sound so fucking smooth on vinyl.

      I’ll take two.

  • ak1287

    Godddamn, I love you Eric Holder. You have the backing of every cop I work with; it’s about time someone in a position of authority IN THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT said what we’ve all been saying on the frontlines for years. At least as long as I’ve been employed.

  • villemar

    But but but Drones NSA Baby Jesus Snowdenmanning loud noises hot water burn baby etc