I Have a Scheme

GOPScheme

Artist – Jeff Darcy

As you may have noticed, there were no Republican speakers at today’s anniversary.

Meanwhile, Glenn Beck’s assessment of possible U.S. intervention in Syria for humanitarian reasons is not too far removed from some of the oil-fueled conspiracies I’ve read.

Also — guess who’s coming to dinner.

This entry was posted in Glenn Beck, Open Thread, Rick Perry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    GREAT cartoon!

    • mrbrink

      I thought Rachel Maddow did a great segment called ‘promissory note’ describing the student protests at the Northwood theater in Baltimore with historical footage and photos remembering students, young children, who were hosed and arrested by the hundreds, Walter Gaddsen, Harry Belafonte, Hoover’s bugging of MLK, the life threatening letters from the FBI, and the Attorney General, Bobby Kennedy, of all people, signing off on bugs and taps(and they tell us Eric Holder is a terrible AG) and a great anecdote about how Nelson Rockefeller met Clarence Jones in a vault and handed him $100,000 in plastic wrapped stacks of cash to post bail for the kids arrested and sitting in jail for the Northwood protests. She finished with a quiet flourish by interviewing Clarence Jones, MLK’s counsel and adviser(brilliant, brilliant man). I tried to hold back the tears listening to him reflect on the history and the day, and I’m kind of a cynic, absorbing his recollection into my own views and emotional connection I’ve had to MLK that began taking shape in 3rd grade social studies, empathizing at an early age with all the people who marched and sat in and got arrested for simple concepts of freedom and equality. Chicago Public Schools helped raise me right. I highly recommend Rachel’s take on the day.

        Just finished watching it. I, too, have always had an emotional connection to the fight that they waged…….from the first time I saw the images of children in the Birmingham march. It still boggles my mind that we allowed those children to be treated in such a horrific manner. And now, when we are, in so many states, trying to roll back voting rights, it is very difficult not to hate the people whose despicable notions re race have brought us to this point.

        Adds……you might enjoy Charles Blow’s column (from yesterday): http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/opinion/blow-the-most-dangerous-negro.html

  • Raina

    no word on #IHaveaDrone?

    • Raina

      that was clearly a mockery of I have a Dream.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Is it just me, of does the right seem angry today? More angry than they usually are, I mean. I sense a lot of teeth grinding over the fact that we’re even celebrating the 50th anniversary of MLK Jr’s speech.

    • JMAshby

      I thought the far left was angry today.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Them too, but for different reasons.