McConnell Campaign Manager is ‘Holding His Nose’

This is the best thing ever.

Mitch McConnell’s campaign manager has been caught on tape saying unfortunate things.

In the recording, obtained by Economic Policy Journal, Jesse Benton — who ran Paul’s successful 2010 campaign before joining McConnell’s team — told conservative activist Dennis Fusaro that he has an ulterior motive in working the GOP leader’s 2014 campaign.

“Between you an me, I’m sorta holding my nose for two years,” Benton said in the recording, “’cause what we’re doing here is gonna be a big benefit to Rand in ’16.”

Nothing says team spirit like “I’m holding my nose” because your primary goal is to help Rand Paul.

And speaking of Rand Paul, it dawns on me that the Republican party may very well be poised to follow him into Barry Goldwater territory in 2016, although I expect he would win more than six states. Maybe.

His popularity within the Republican party is enough by itself to push the rest of the party in his direction in the present time, and that’s bad news for anyone believes in functioning government.

Last week Rand Paul introduced a bill that would effectively nullify federal labor laws and he procured a long list of co-sponsors, including several presidential hopefuls, who don’t want to be outdone by him.

This entry was posted in Election 2014, Election 2016, Elections, Rand Paul and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • missliberties

    Hey, it’s a paycheck.

  • muselet

    “It is truly sick that someone would record a private phone conversation I had out of kindness and use it to try to hurt me,” [Jesse Benton] said in the statement. “I believe in Senator McConnell and am 100 percent committed to his re-election. Being selected to lead his campaign is one of the great honors of my life and I look forward to victory in November of 2014.”

    So his conversation was not intended to be a factual statement?

    –alopecia

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    I have to admit I found McConnell posing with Benton as Benton holds his nose to be a pretty good response – laugh it off, show you are “standing by your campaign manager” in public (Tom Vilsack could learn a thing of two from that, given how he threw Shirley Sherrod under the bus for a false accusation, while this guy actually did something that was firing-worthy). McConnell couldn’t fire Benton, because that would make him look weak (or, even weaker than he already looks).