Mitch McConnell: Blasphemer

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell made the mistake of casually saying that there may be a “handful of things” in Obamacare that really aren’t so bad.

Naturally, McConnell’s primary opponents have taken this as a sign that Mitch is a secret Lefty who has flip flopped on Obamacare.

McConnell’s remarks quickly became fodder for his conservative primary challenger, Matt Bevin, who accused the GOP leader’s of “flip-flop[ping] on repealing Obamacare in its entirety.”

“We have to do whatever it takes to repeal Obamacare, and if we can’t repeal it, we have a responsibility to the American people to defund it,” Bevin said in a statement Thursday, responding to McConnell’s remarks. “If Mitch McConnell had ever worked in the private sector, he might understand that. If Senator McConnell is not willing to act to end Obamacare, he needs to get out of the way.”

A “handful of things” are “probably OK?” No! You must immediately declare that you hate Obamacare in its entirety — even the parts you may have written yourself — and vow to repeal or defund it.

The unfortunate truth is pressure from his opponents may compel McConnell to support Senator Mike Lee’s effort to shut the government down over Obamacare or, at the very least, push him to take other countervailing measures to prove that he’s a real wingnut, too.

The latter hasn’t worked out so well for fellow Senator Marco Rubio.

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    The funny thing is that Mitch McConnell doesn’t have much to worry about. Okay, sure, Kentucky Rs can and will turn on him with astonishing speed and ferocity if he steps out of line so he has to be careful what he says, but unless he does something uncharacteristically stupid (he doesn’t generally make that sort of political mistake, though) he’s the nominee.

    More numbers from Kentucky to conjure with.

    –alopecia

  • drspittle

    I heard a national pollster/guru (cannot remember his name but track record is very good) say on a local radio program that he thinks McConnell will win because 1) he’s the shrewdest, wiliest politician in Washington 2) he has tons of money 3) he has had to fight hard to keep his seat in every campaign after his first easy victory. The program also featured a couple of local Northern KY pols (one Rethug, one Democrat), who agreed that should he win the primary (they think he will) his Democratic opponent should focus on raising money and hammering the point that after 30 years it’s time for him to go. They said she should not campaign on issues. It was an interesting, and depressing, discussion.