Quote of the Day

Now, I think the really interesting question is why it is that my friends in the other party have made the idea of preventing these people from getting health care their holy grail. Their number one priority, the one unifying principle in the Republican Party at the moment is making sure that 30 million people don’t have health care. And presumably repealing all those benefits I just mentioned. Kids staying on their parents’ plan, seniors getting discounts on their prescription drugs, a return to limits on lifetime limits, continuing to get blocked from health care insurance.”

That’s hard to understand as an agenda that’s going to strengthen our middle class. At least they used to say, well, we’re going to replace it with something better. There’s not even a pretense now that they’re going to replace it with something better. The notion is simply that those 30 million people or the 150 million who are benefitting from the other aspects of affordable care, will be better off without it. That’s their assertion. Not backed by fact, not backed by any evidence. It’s just become an ideological fixation. -President Obama on Republican opposition to Obamacare

The president said many noteworthy things today, but this is probably the most consequential. It’s a direct challenge to House Republicans and an attempt to call their bluff on shutting the government down to defund Obamacare.

While I consider this to be the most consequential thing said today, I don’t necessarily expect it to be covered the most.

Honorable mention: “No, I don’t think that Mr. Snowden was a patriot.”

This entry was posted in Healthcare, President Obama, Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RamOrgan

    I think it’s stellar that the President waited until after the Republickers voted the 40th time to repeal the ACA before he said this. I don’t know how any thinking person could argue. Of course, that does leave out huge swaths of this electorate.

  • nathkatun7

    JM, Ashby, your prediction didn’t take long to be confirmed. What you thought was “the most consequential thing” the president said is not #1 with the so called mainstream Media (MSM). For the MSM, “the most consequential thing,” was that Edward Snowden is a hero and a patriot who forced Obama to reform the NSA.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Their number one priority, the one unifying principle in the Republican
    Party at the moment is making sure that 30 million people don’t have
    health care.

    I don’t understand why this hasn’t been trumpeted by Democrats daily since the FIRST time Republicans voted to repeal Obamacare. The Republicans advocate for dreadful things, and the Dems kinda nod and say “There they go again. Whadday goin’ ta do?”.

    For sure it will be a while before you hear anyone else call the Republican spade a spade.