State Senator: High Minority Poverty Caused by Genetics, Fried Chicken, Porno

This is really quite something.

We see and hear so many awful things come from the mouths of Republicans, it’s easy to become desensitized and no longer blink when they say it, but this from Colorado State Senator Vicki Marble (R-Fort Collins) is impressively bad.

According to her, black and Hispanic people suffer from higher rates of poverty because of their genetics, fried chicken, and porno.

Audio from KDVR

MARBLE: When you look at life expectancy, there are problems in the black race. Sickle-cell anemia is something that comes up, diabetes is something that’s prevalent in the genetic makeup and you just can’t help it. Although I’ve gotta say, I’ve never had better barbecue and better chicken and ate better in my life than when you go down south and you, I mean I love it and everybody loves it. The Mexican diet in Mexico with all of the fresh vegetables. And you go down there and they’re much thinner than when they come up here. they change their diet. I’ve read studies on that. They become Americanized. Down the street near five-points there used to an old cafe there called Type-2 Chicken and I wanted to eat there for years because I knew it was just going to be the best ever.

You know these things aren’t good for you. And it’s really funny because there’s so many attributing factors as to why these graphs look the way they do. And I think when we look at things we have to take into a lot of attributing factors that one can’t be helped like genetics and the others that can be worked around, maybe the addictions. Certainly some people have addictive personalities. Addictions come in all different forms. You have alcoholics, rageoholics, drug addicts. You have people who are addicted, they say, to porn.

Holy shit.

williams

This is so ridiculously racist it feels like a comedy sketch. And I think she has a few things backwards in the Cause and Effect Department.

Poor diet does not lead to poverty, poverty leads to poor diet. And poverty is not caused by genetics or pornography. It’s caused by social apathy and ignorance from people like Senator Vicki Marble who are elected to serve the public interest.

Marble also went on to blame bad parenting and government regulations as reasons why black and Hispanic communities suffer from higher rates of poverty. Because she only had a limited amount of time to spout every stereotype and trope swirling around in her head before being cut off by her colleagues who were having a deer-in-the-headlights moment.

Marble says she is “saddened” that her comments came off the wrong way, as if they could have been taken any other way.

This entry was posted in Quote, Racism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Mike_Norris

    There are moments in my daily life when I wonder–just how stupid are we becoming as a nation? And then this shit from a member of congress in my own state’s legislature. There is not a sensible thought in that entire statement. All she does is spew the deep-seated racism coming from her own heart and mind.

    I don’t know about your statement that “Conservatism is a mental illness” any more, Ashby. For if it were, then people like Vicki Marble would have an excuse: Their crazy. I think it is time to just call them what they are: Pure, hot, unfiltered racists lacking in intellect or the ability to think at all. They are not mentally ill–they are stupid.

    • D_C_Wilson

      These are people who believe being rich is a sign of virtue, that they are morally better than everyone else. Therefore, if you’re poor, it’s because you lack the right virtues. Basically, modern American conservatism is an elaborate justification for being a selfish prick by melding Ayn Rand’s philosophy to the prosperity gospel.

        Ayn Rand’s “philosophy”.

        • D_C_Wilson

          For lack of a better term.

      • kfreed

        Nailed it.

      I used to think it was stupidity but I’m more and more turning to ignorance. It’s not that they can’t learn, they don’t want to. Willful ignorance is far, far worse than being so stupid that they can’t learn. So calling them stupid gives them an excuse as well. When they say, “You can’t fix stupid” they’re right. But we can fix ignorance…..at least, I really, really, really hope we can.

      • dbtheonly

        I hope you’re right; but I’m not betting that way.

        I see little alternative to beating the Republicans in each and every election until their ideas are finally dumped. Whoda thunk we’d be talking about needing the Voting Rights Act in the 21st Century?

      This is one of the reasons why it is very important for our country to fund liberal arts, humanities, and social sciences. This has all been written about in easy to read language and studied extensively.

      • kfreed

        Here’s a thought. Allowing these wankers to hold public office is an endictment of us all.

  • GOVCHRIS1988

    I guess she thought Undercover Brother was a in depth documentary.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SQnsmVOyI

    P.S. Chi McBride’s whole reaction is the same way I looked when I read this.

    “Marble says she is “saddened” that her comments came off the wrong way, as if they could have been taken any other way.”

    The saddest part of all is that she really thinks there IS another way they could and should be interpreted.

  • Schneibster

    She’s very sorry you were such an a—— that you got all offended and stuff.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    One never gets acclimated to the stupid coming out of the mouths of the right. It burns white hot.

  • Kerry Reid

    Thank god there are no obese white people.

  • Bubble Genius

    Okay, number one: WHAT?

    Number two: Did Ms. Marblehead not read that Mexico beat the US in fatasses this year? So even her racist generalizations about the “Mexican diet” are wrong.

    Number three: There are a lot lot lot of diabetic white folks. Unless Wilford Brimley is secretly black.

    Number four: I guess Senator Vicki Queeg also didn’t hear that the largest consumers of online porn live in Utah, and Vatican City. I don’t recall seeing many dark-complexioned folk in either of those places.

    • mrbrink

      Diabeetus affects us all.