Still Standing With Rand?

According to Rand Paul, minority voters aren’t being disenfranchised by voter suppression laws.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), a tea party senator with a long history of opposition to civil rights laws, told an audience in Louisville, Kentucky on Wednesday that there is no evidence of black voters being excluded from the franchise. According to local NPR host Phillip Bailey, Paul said that he does not believe “there is any particular evidence of polls barring African Americans from voting,” during a speech to the non-partisan Louisville Forum.

As the New York times illuminated in February of this year, black and Hispanic voters waited significantly longer to vote than the average white voter did in 2012 and, in some cases, such as Florida, voters waited up to seven or eight hours to vote.

On election night in 2012, some people remained in line waiting to cast their vote until after midnight in Florida while as many as 200,000 gave up and went home.

This entry was posted in Rand Paul, Voter Suppression and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    I don’t know if it’s a testament to how dedicated the democrats in Flori-Duh were or just how much of an entitled douchebag Romney was, but it’s amazing to me that despite the best efforts of Governor Gollum, Obama still won the state.

    • mdblanche

      I’d say it’s a testament to how dedicated the people waiting in line were. Remember they were still there hours after the presidential race was called. That tells me it wasn’t just about who they were voting for, it was about voting itself.

  • mrbrink

    They mistake higher voter turnout as evidence of easy access. On purpose.

  • BernardKingIII

    People will literally argue for months about photo ID’s all the while ignoring the real modern day Jim Crow found in the combination of the war on drugs and state-level felony disenfranchisement laws. The result is that 20 percent of voting age African-Americans in Florida, Virginia and Kentucky are precluded from participating in our democracy. I’ll be ready to get behind the first candidate that makes addressing this injustice a priority.