The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show 8/14/13

bcs_booker

Ghostery: Bradley Manning Apologizes for Hurting America; Cory Booker Wins Senate Primary; The Far Left Doesn’t Understand Political Reality; Greenwald and White Privilege; The Awfulness of Allowing Republicans to Win; Corporate Data Trackers at The Guardian; Our David Sirota Experiment; The President’s Executive Order and Other Whistleblower Protections; and much more. Brought to you by Bubble Genius, the BobCesca.com Amazon Link and the Bowen Law Group.

There’s more political talk in this week’s After Party — Thursday at Noon eastern time. If you’re not a member, subscribe already. Only $6/month, cancel any time.

Download the mp3 (55 minutes, 23mb)
RSS Feed
Bob & Chez Show Archive

Bubble Genius

This entry was posted in Bob and Chez Show. Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Ah, a whiff of catastrophe is on the breeze! I’m giddy with anticipation!

    By this time tomorrow, the definitive Bradley Manning Conspiracy Theory will be fully-formed and The Huffington Post will have a screaming headline about it at the top of the home page (unless some reality-TV personality suffers a nip slip, in which case all bets are off).

    Cory Booker is popular and electable, and he’s never called for Wall Street titans’ heads on pikes, so of course the usual suspects wigged out. And, let’s face it, by making an enemy of Booker, the ProLeft and the EmoProgs can point to any vote with which they disagree and say, “Told you so.”

    Chez, I’d never thought of that strain of political thought being like hipsters in an indy record store, but you’re right.

    It’s heartening to know that Glenn Greenwald is willing to sacrifice some of his short-term goals in order to destroy the two-party system in the US. It’s important to know that (as you guys point out) Greenwald considers women’s access to healthcare and the poor’s access to food assistance and children’s access to high-quality education and, oh yeah, the right to vote less important than ushering in his glibertarian utopia. There’s a reason I avoid reading Greenwald as much as I possibly can.

    I get the feeling that the writers who are so very upset about evil gummint spying on us on the internet! have a hard time powering up their computers in the morning. I won’t call them luddites, but they are definitely behind the technological curve.

    I’d be fascinated to know what sort of profile Google has built up on me based on my searches. Seriously. My searches can be so weird and seemingly random that if the company has generated anything like an accurate profile from them, I’d be very impressed (tonight’s oddity, for those who might care: Jyväskylä, Finland).

    –alopecia

  • JackDaniel07

    In case it hasn’t been brought up, their names are Driftglass and Blue Gal.
    Mr. Electro is Driftglass’ twitter handle.

    Their podcast, The Professional Left, gets an hour of my week, every week.
    Thank you for bringing them on.
    The show back in the day with Shannyn Moore was/is one of my favorites to this day.

      Yeah, I totally fucked that up. They each have like 20 names, so it all got scrambled inside my brain. I will formally apologize in two weeks.

      • LeShan Jones

        I’m looking forward to that show, I only really listen to two podcasts, yours and theirs. I wasn’t even certain any of you guys were even aware of one another until Driftglass began mentioning that he loves listening to your podcast.
        I love it when some of my favorite people get along.

  • js hooper

    AWESOME!!!

    You guys read the quote I posted about Greenwald. (thanks to the Joy Reid)

    It really pisses me off that Libertarian douchebag is allowed to pose as a progressive…even going so far as being a LEADER and agenda setter for a portion of the left….When in reality he could give 2 shits about progressive policy or helping people in this country.

    Greenwald is a ratfucker doing the dirty work for the Koch brothers and Republican Party.
    He’s said so in HIS OWN WORDS.People like him are doing a lot of damage in this country and hurting a lot of people by knee capping moderate Democrats and allowing right wing freaks to grab control.Of course NONE of these people doing this shit have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

    • ranger11

      It seems to me that a lot of “progressive” heroes got grandfathered in during the Bush days. I don’t know why Greenwald did. I couldn’t read him back then either. And I read three-quarters less the people I followed during that time.

    • JarekAF

      This MOUNTAIN of evidence is like the mountain of evidence that Sadaam had WMD’s.

      Keep living in your bubble of alternate reality whereby Greenwald is some hidden agent of the Koch Bros.

      • ranger11

        Cato!

  • JimmyAbra

    I did a little experiment similar to your scan of the info gathering apps running on sites when Limbaugh and Beck were telling their cults about Obama was getting their info by telling people to donate to Haiti via a link on white house .gov. I had to explain to my conspiracy theorists family, while running html page inspection utilities that the white house link was a simple href direct. But then I showed them the “links” on Becks and Limbaugh sites, which they told their cult to go to over the white house, where they actually forwarded the user to a page to literally collect all their info before forwarding onto the same place.

    I did have to include the caveat that all the sites have in their http logs every request and can map requests to an IP, if they wanted. But, why trust clear channel more? The funny thing was I had to give these people a warning about what all the metadata was, where the Internet came from, and how some scans can happen and what not to do to set off “alerts.” They just ignored me…These are the same “alerts” that Snowden is now calling bombshell invasion of privacy (though it is really risks people have agreed to take by using the Internet…they are ignorant, but that isn’t a defense). Why do these people ignore my advice and think I am just sticking up for Obama and then when someone they don’t know just says the same thing in a much more dramatic/sensationalist manner they now believe it and still don’t want to hear any of my advice?

  • Art__VanDalay

    Melvins rule!!!

  • Lex

    greenwald and white privilage, sorry bob cesca but you have shown your self to be a fox news “liberal” and a partisan hack, you are a hypocrite of the worst kind.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Yer, funny… in a sad, unintentional manner

      HAHAAAA!

  • blackdaug

    I hate that I never usually get to listen to these things until the weekend, usually in my car, and the content is kind of dated by then. ..but this week due to insomnia, its only a day old!

    Best quote I read regarding Cory Booker hate posts comes from a headline written by the soon to be retired TBogg called: “Winning is for Losers”

    …which pretty much sums up the emo prog hipster mentality in a nice tidy packet. But when you consider that according to GG himself, he was just becoming “politically aware” in O4 (in the middle of that thing we were in…what was it called? The Fucking War!)
    To be that obtuse, at that time, and later be calling for burning down the house….is beyond naive, it is moronic…..and I remember him doing it in real time! To willingly be rooting for Republican victories, after the better part of the hell that was The Bush Administration, is down right insane.

    It’s pretty strange that the only two political podcasts I listen to anymore will be interviewing each other…kind of a time saver really. I have heard every Pro Left podcast (with Driftglass and Bluegal) since before the first one (if thats possible). It’s down to just you two and Comedy Bang Bang…and sometimes NPR.

    ….Oh and I liked Mother Love Bone, and Soundgarden!..and Mad Season (the Seattle incest projects we used to call them)…and the soundtrack to Singles….The Tragically Hip ..Big Head Todd…(not Seatle I know) Tonic…
    … I used to have a really great indie label demo disc called the Black Light Special. along with a thousand others……wish I hadn’t loaned that one out. You can’t find them for sale…(except at crappy indie record stores) because its illegal…