Town Hall Season: Crowd Goes Wild for Deporting Girl’s Father

As far as gatherings of deplorable village-folk go, this may be unparalleled.

During a town hall meeting hosted by Representative Scott DesJarlais (R-TN), the crowd in attendance clapped and cheered wildly when he told a little girl that her father should be deported.

MOLINA: My question is I have a dad who’s undocumented and what can I do to stick with him? [Inaudible] I have a dad and he’s undocumented and what can I do so he can stay with me?

DESJARLAIS: Joanna, thank you for being here and thank you for coming forward to speaking to us. This is a big intimidating crowd and I appreciate you coming forward to ask your question. But the answer still kind of remains the same that we have laws and we need to follow those laws and that’s where we’re at.

[APPLAUSE]

Yeah! Woo! Cheer! Fuck off little girl’s dad.

Josie Molina is 11 years old and the Republican base just cheered for deporting her father. Because family values. Or something.

I’m all out of snark. These people are horrible.

This entry was posted in Racism, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    White Male “Job Creator”: Rep. DesJarlais, Instead of hiring the skilled people around me who were able to show up because most are under- or unemployed, I need to keep Molina’s dad in the county so I can keep exploiting his hard work at an absurd profit margin. Our last President fought for us by trying to implement “guest worker” programs that basically turned these wetbacks…er day laborers…into 21st Century share croppers we could turn over to ICE the instant one becomes inconvenient if you know what I mean.

    What is the going campaign donation to keep the “guest worker program” aligned with our Xenophobic hatred platform that keep these rubes…er fellow citizens…around me voting for us?”

  • GrafZeppelin127

    This is why people who vote Republican, vote Republican: To make “those” people suffer, and to feel good about their own meanness.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Modern conservatism in a nutshell: Trying to find high-minded ways to justify being a selfish prick.

  • Mike_Norris

    “I’m all out of snark. These people are horrible.” and “Conservatism is a mental illness.”

    Two of the greatest things you ever said Ashby…and absolutely right.

  • Robert Scalzi

    DesJarlais the douche that impregnated his mistress and pressured her to get an abortion so his wife wouldn’t find out is still in office ?? how distasteful, WTF is wrong with these neanderthals ??

    • Brutlyhonest

      Everyone knows that any sexually-related “scandal” only ends the career of a Democrat,

  • Christopher Foxx

    Josie Molina is 11 years old and the Republican base just cheered for deporting her father. Because family values. Or something.

    Perhaps “something” is obeying the law?

    Look, I have no doubt the GOP wants to see illegals deported for reasons other than not being law-abiding citizens. There is clearly a racial aspect (often a blatant one) to their opposition to immigration.

    But what was DesJarlais supposed to say? That laws should be ignored?

    And would it be better if the audience booed his saying they should be followed?

    I see this one as the left working to find a reason to criticize the right. “Woo! Fuck off little girl’s dad.” is a lot to read into applause for someone who said laws should be followed.

    If I wanted to similarly read a lot into things, I could point out DesJarlais ending with “and that’s where we’re at.” could be taken as acknowledging the current situation (where we’re at) should be changed. It would be a reach, but no more than seeing the audience reaction as a “Fuck your Dad”.

    • JMAshby

      Are you fucking kidding me?

      What was he suppose to say? Oh, I don’t know, maybe not telling little girl her father can’t stay with her. As a Congressman he has the power to vote to change the law. He could have said he would support a path to citizenship or exemptions for family. Anything else. But he doesn’t support those things. He’s a card-carrying Teabagger.

      This is the same family values anti-abortion asshole who was caught on tape pressuring women he was having affairs with to get abortions.

      And here you are giving him, and the crowd, the benefit of the doubt plus some. People who elected him and are cheering him for telling telling a little girl to her face that her dad can’t say with her and should be deported. Because that’s the law.

      You can take that concern trolling and shove it straight up your ass. Yeah, this apologia pisses me off.

      • Christopher Foxx

        What was he suppose to say? Oh, I don’t know, maybe not telling little girl her father can’t stay with her.

        In other words, lie. You would have been happier with that.

        As for the rest, your main complaint seems to be that he didn’t go far enough and continue with a speech about how he agrees fully with you about immigration policy.

        It’s all of 30 seconds from when she starts asking her question clearly to he finishes answering it. And you’re pissed that he didn’t advocate for significant overhaul of the current system.

        As for your faux concern about concern trolling, I get it. It’s an accusation folks throw out in an attempt to just dismiss an argument they don’t agree with. I wasn’t apologizing for anyone. I don’t see it as the “OmiGOD did you see the utterly horrendous thing he did? And to a defenseless little kid!!” that you do. It’s called having a sense of perspective.

        • JMAshby

          Would I have been happier with him saying something less dismissive and insensitive to a little girl?

          Absolutely, you prick.

          • Christopher Foxx

            “Brava to you for standing up in front of a crowd, that can be intimidating. Folks have to follow the current law.”

            How is that dismissive?

        • D_C_Wilson

          And you’re pissed that he didn’t advocate for significant overhaul of the current system.

          Yes. That’s the point. He could have used this as a moment to say that no one wants to break families up and that there should be a system in place to allow for a path to citizenship for otherwise law-abiding undocumented workers. He could have said that our immigration is broken and is in desperate need of repair. He could have said that we need to end the gridlock in Washington to get important things like this done.

          But no, he gave her a big “fuck you, little girl.”

          • Christopher Foxx

            I agree there wee a lot of things he could have said. I just don’t see what he did say as a in-your-face fuck you. What was at most an unresponsive or even insensitive reply is being over characterized as a vicious attack.

    • Claude Weaver

      Yeah, I’d agree with you, except that wasn’t the question she was asking. She wasn’t asking anything about the law or how it was illegal. She asked for a solution. She asked for help.

      I have a dad and he’s undocumented and what can I do so he can stay with me?

      That little girl wanted to know what she could do. If this guy was so stuck in his options for answers, how come he didn’t just say “he needs to apply for citizenship” or something that actually acknowledged that he heard her question? That would still leave a bitter taste in some folks’ mouths, but it at least acknowledged what she actually asked for. Using a (probably boilerplate) response like that is not what you do when a child is sitting there trying to understand why her dad can’t stay with her. It was a snide, cynical dismissal of her very serious concern.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yeah, I’d agree with you, except that wasn’t the question she was asking.

        True. He didn’t answer the question she actually asked. Something I pointed out in a comment in the other article posted the The Banter about this clip.

        But a politician didn’t answer the question they were actually asked. This is new?

        • mrbrink

          Yeah, I saw that comment and responded to you and you shouldn’t be bragging. This is one of those times where the balloon pops in your face and you pick up the pieces and keep blowing.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Wasn’t bragging. What I was actually doing was simply pointing out that I had agreed with you.

        • Claude Weaver

          Yeah, and last time I checked, when a politician does fail to answer the question asked, we mock them. At best. So I don’t get your point.

          Using the “other guys do it too” line is as weak a defense as you accuse Ashby of using with concern trolling. He didn’t ask anyone to lie. He was just amazed at the utter disregard of a child’s feelings that this supposed group of mature adults displayed. Even the most cursory acknowledgement of this girl’s question would have at least presented the illusion someone there had a heart. But they were so dedicated to their us-vs-them mentality that even an innocent question can make a child a target.

          • Christopher Foxx

            I didn’t mean to suggest a “others do it to, so that excuses it”, only to note the reality that others do do it. And far from allowing the ubiquity of it to excuse his behavior, I think it should be, as you say, mocked all the time.

    • PinkamenaPanic

      Nobody cares what you have to say.

      • Christopher Foxx

        And yet, a lot of folks, yourself included, seem to feel the need to comment on it.

        At least those that have, yourself excluded, make the effort to explain what they object to.

        So, feeling’s mutual, lady,

        • PinkamenaPanic

          So you admit you’re a troll looking for attention. Fine – this is the last time I’ll address you outside of flagging your troll-shit.

          • Christopher Foxx

            So you admit you’re a troll looking for attention

            Did no such thing. But don’t let that stop you from railing against something that you made up.

  • hanadora444

    Hang on, folks, this is only the beginning. There are going to be lots of GOP debates coming up (even eventually some on CNN and whatever the other rejected venue was) and they all will have sizeable bloodthirsty audiences. And the members of those audiences will cheer and boo and generally disgrace themselves and their party.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      As if we didn’t see enough of that bile during the previous Republican presidential candidates debates.

  • Walter Bithell

    Gosh, you are so amazing Bob.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      It was JM Ashby who wrote this, brainiac.

  • Kennet

    So, I’m in the district next to DesJarlais and I can’t begin to tell you how much I despise the man. Let us not forget this is the same “family values” elect who knocked up his mistress and got caught on tape pressuring her into an abortion.