Warp Speed! Engage!

It’s official. NASA is investing in warp speed research:

NASA has invested $50,000 in equipment for “warp speed” research that would allow space travel faster than the speed of light. The research remains in the science phase and is unlikely to produce a practical application in the near future, but the team’s intention is to get the ball rolling.

Though it seems ripped straight from an episode of Star Trek, NASA has invested real money into understanding the science behind travel faster than the speed of light.

Harold G. White, a NASA physicist, leads the small team at NASA who are trying to make reality out of a theory that suggests the possibility of traveling faster than the speed of light.

I love this story. It’s small-scale experimentation like this that leads to huge discoveries.

This entry was posted in Space and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Every single thing that has moved us from staring out at the stars from a dark and chilly cave to the world we live in today started with “I wonder…”

    • Christopher Foxx

      “The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’ but ‘That’s funny…’”
      — Isaac Asimov

    • Brutlyhonest

      Back when I was a Naval Aviator, NFOs were never thrilled to hear a pilot say, “I wonder if …”

      • Nefercat

        What do scientists and rednecks have in common?

        Famous last words:
        “Hey, watch this. I’m gonna try something.”

  • Clancy

    It’s a good thing that the lazy reporting evident in the NSA stories didn’t carry over to this one, otherwise we’d be told that NASA had already achieved the capability to travel faster than the speed of light and was visiting alien worlds.

  • Vic78

    It’s about damn time.

  • Draxiar

    Oh Bravo! Please NASA…more of this!

  • Michael West

    Wait…$50,000? In equipment? So…basically one computer network for the team?

  • muselet

    Make it so, Mr. White. (Couldn’t resist.)

    –alopecia

  • Mike_Norris

    Velcro, cordless tools, extended life batteries, plexiglass, and a hundred other inventions we take for granted, were invented during the Apollo program. The mission was to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth. But the benefits this nation reaped from the research is extraordinary. I hope we don’t ever forget that.

  • LeShan Jones

    Ahead, warp factor 1. Great news, although I know of the fans of a competing scifi franchise who will insist that their faster-than-light drive is way more believable…they also think their franchise is way more powerful than trek. Their debating style is very similar to the republicans though.

  • D_C_Wilson

    And republicans voting to kill it in 3 . . 2. . . 1. . .