Why They Hate Obamacare

Republicans recently attempted repeal of the Affordable Care Act and Patient Protection law for the 40th time, but why?

Because it gives women access to preventive health services and makes it illegal to charge women different rates than men?

Gives seniors access to cheaper drugs, free preventive care, and reforms Medicare Advantage?

Goes after waste and fraud in Medicare?

Protects the 1-2 Americans who have a pre-existing condition?

Reduces the growth in national healthcare spending?

Or perhaps it’s because 60 percent of all personal bankruptcies in the U.S. are related to medical bills, and one of the many ways in which this law changes that is the abolishment of lifetime caps on life-saving measures and mandates that you pay no more than 8% of your annual income on health insurance? Maybe it’s because Republicans have an affinity toward the indefinite sickening and bankrupting of Americans?

Furthermore:

• Takes measures to prevent all types of discrimination in regards to your right to health care, including discrimination based on gender, income, and health issues.

• Reforms and expands Medicaid to an estimated 15 million of our nation’s poorest. That’s 6.1 million less than the last estimate due to States opting-out out of providing coverage, despite 100% federal funding for the first 3 years and 90% thereafter.

• Provides $20 billion in tax credits for as many as 4 million Small Businesses to offset the cost of purchasing insurance on the Health Insurance Exchanges.

• Improves community health care centers.

• Prevents “price gauging” by hospitals.

Without healthcare reform America will continue to suffer the consequences of a health care system controlled by private companies, whose bottom line is money and not health.

That last part is telling. How many presidents do we know of who signed off on policy and backed it up with statements that effectively kick open the doors of health insurance corporations and pumps a shotgun in the name of taking back our freedom and dignity?

obamacare-cartoon-2-a

Last month, Republicans Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn, as government officials, pressured the NFL to back out of a tentative public service agreement that would have helped educate the public on the benefits of the ACA, which, oddly enough, is the type of government interference, or threat of government retaliation in the private sector that Republicans are always accusing this administration of, portraying them in the mainstream press as nothing short of unAmerican scoundrels. There is, officially, no moral, or ethical compass left in the GOP.

So, as Republicans continue to purposefully keep America in the dark, ignorant of the importance of this law, although patience seems to be winning the day, despite media efforts to muddy the debate and allow the GOP to go on virtually unobstructed in their intellectually-violent endeavors, it behooves the GOP to continue to threaten to shut down government over implementation of this law because when it’s all said and done, this is the clearest path we’ve ever had to realizing universal healthcare in this country. Can’t have that.

This entry was posted in Healthcare, Republican Party, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I’m far from the first to point this out, but another angle is that health insurance is almost entirely linked to employment in this country. This means people pretty much have to stay in jobs they hate so they don’t lose health coverage. The ACA made individual health insurance policies (borderline) affordable and eliminated preexisting conditions as grounds for refusal, so employers stand to lose (a little bit of) leverage over their employees.

    This is something up with which the Rs will not put! Why, if the moochers and the peons can up and quit any time they please—to take a more interesting or rewarding job, or to do volunteer work, or to start a business of their own—they’ll start thinking they’re people!

    Plus, of course, gummint evil.

    –alopecia

    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/akinsc Carla Akins

      I work with a number of people that applied to and stay at the job for the benefits only. These individuals are already retired from the “first” or life-long job but just can’t afford insurance. I would think these soon to be open job opportunities can only be a plus.

    • mrbrink

      Excellent point as always.

  • missliberties

    Honestly I am so fed up with these buffons and their media enablers.

    How can we make them stop.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I think it’s simpler than that. Congressional republicans are so consumed with their hatred of Obama that they can’t get a boner unless they vote to repeal his signature accomplishment.

  • trgahan

    but but…that huckster from Alaska assured us there would be death panels?!?! then she took her check and left for a few months until that money ran out…

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    Excellent post Mr. Brink and two things come to mind for me:
    1. You’ve presented a perfect outline for a TV commercial that should be going out to the American public daily. Communicating the benefits of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is worth spending some advertising money on and it will pay off in the mid-terms and help mobilize voters. They can even add a joke about it somehow becoming ObamaCare.
    2. Republicans are very scared. In fact they’re terrified! Conservatives have constantly doubled down on their lies about ACA and as the programs’ benefits take affect they know all too well that they will be exposed as being on the wrong side of history once again. A cornered animal behaves just like they’re acting….lashing out, irrational, ugly and vicious.