Architect of Government Shutdown Concern Trolls Government Shutdown

If you’ve been following along, you’ll understand why this is hilarious, but if you haven’t I’ll explain.

Senator Mike Lee is the man who originally hatched the idea of shutting the government down to defund Obamacare in July before the Summer recess. It was he who began assembling the Coalition of the Willing that would take the fight to the president.

From July 22nd

U.S. Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) told TheBlaze Monday he has recruited more than a dozen Senate Republicans to help him defund President Barack Obama’s landmark health care law.

Fifteen Republican senators, including Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.), Ted Cruz (Texas), John Cornyn (Texas), Rand Paul (Ky.), James Inhofe (Okla.), David Vitter (La.), Roger Wicker (Miss.), John Thune (S.D.), and Chuck Grassley (Iowa), will block a continuing resolution to keep the government funded beyond Sept. 30 if it includes funding for Obamacare, Lee said.

Now Mike Lee is accusing the president of wanting to shut the government down, saying that upholding Obamacare is not worth a shutdown. From his point of view we should just let him defund it, because insuring 30 million people isn’t worth the consequences of a shutdown. Try telling that to the uninsured.

Of course as you may recall Marco Rubio debuted this new line of attack yesterday when he said the president is the one who should stop threatening to shut the government down.

This appears to be an effort to spin a possible shutdown as the president’s fault, but it’s hard to imagine it will work. Everyone knows the Republicans want to get rid of Obamacare, and the drumbeat to do this has been loud and clear. Shutdown Fever has been brewing for months.

This entry was posted in Congress, Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Yes, but then again, the stupid runs strong and proud in this great land.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Which is what the Republicans are counting on.

  • RenoRick

    Chuck Todd will only talk about how Obama isn’t acting like a leader while parroting this BS.

  • Zen Diesel

    I am convinced that Republicans are living in Bizarro world. That is the only thing that make any sense.

  • nathkatun7

    Wow! What kind of logic is that? “Obama Care is not that important, but then we, the superior white folks, must shut down the government and engineer default because repealing Obama Care is vitally important.”

    Guess what, media people, like Chuck Todd, will probably demur about who is really making sense. They may even attack the President for his tone and for not trying to work with Republicans who want him to completely surrender to their demands if he doesn’t want them to destroy the country.

    Someone please tell me what’s the difference between terrorists and the U.S. Republican party controlled by tea baggers!

  • Badgerite

    If shutdowns are bad and this law is not worth causing a shutdown, then don’t cause one and let the law stand or fall on its merits and how well it works. After all, the beauty of the American system is that it can revisit what are deemed over time to be mistakes. I suspect (actually, I know) that the real reason they are so desperate not to let this law ( The Affordable Care Act / Obamacare ) go into effect is that it will work. They know it. And all of their lies about it will be shown up as just what they have always been. Lies. And they will be seen for the destructive, self serving ___________ (fill in the blank) that they are.

    • mrbrink

      It’s already failing, though, according to the people who’ve spent the last four years trying to poison it, shoot it, stab it, rob it, and string it up from a southern oak tree.

      They’ll write songs about the resiliency of the Affordable Care Act someday.

      Like the Star Spangled Obamacare Banner.

      • Badgerite

        Not only that but there is a certain amount of business planning and reliance on future expectations that has already gone into effect at this stage of the game. It’s like the GOP is Lucy pulling the ball out from Charlie Brown at the last minute so he falls flat on his back. At this late stage, to try to repeal the law by holding all other appropriations hostage is just criminal.