CNN: 61 Percent Now Support the President’s Strategy on Syria

When this came down last night, I was kind of shocked.

A majority of Americans who watched President Barack Obama’s prime time address to the nation on Tuesday said they favor the approach to Syria that the president spelled out in his speech, according to an instant poll.

But an exclusive CNN/ORC International survey of speech-watchers conducted immediately after the conclusion of Obama’s address also indicates that those who tuned into the address were split on whether the president made the case for military action against Syria.

Sixty percent of those questioned said it was not in the national interests of the U.S. to be involved in the bloody two year old Syrian civil war, and more than half said the speech did not change their confidence in the president’s leadership on military and international issues.

According to the poll, 61% said they support the president’s position on Syria, with 37% saying they oppose his response to the Syrian government’s alleged use of chemical weapons against its own citizens.

I’m sure there will be more numbers dropping throughout the day. But if they’re anything like CNN’s numbers, the speech was a huge success.

(ht Whistleblower Attorney David Benowitz)
This entry was posted in Poll, President Obama, Syria. Bookmark the permalink.
  • js hooper

    Funny thing is…

    When most reasonable people hear the issues explained DIRECTLY from President Obama they tend to agree with his approach/ rationale.They respect the fact that he gives a thoughtful honest viewpoint.

    That’s what scares the shit out of the Republicans, Firebaggers, Paultards and the Corporate Media.It pisses them off and drives them CRAZY.

    That’s why ALL OF THEM typically refuse to allow Obama direct access to their audience. They ALWAYS prefer to tell their followers what he said…and how to react and feel about what they want you to believe he said.They will slice up his statements and attempt to manipulate their viewers and give them a false impression.

    Just go to any Firebagger blog and you will find them still trying to convince people Obama is worse than Bush because he said ” fill in the blank snippet” from his speech last night. Take one sentence out of context and use it to FAP FAP FAP in self righteous ratfucking outrage.

  • ChrisAndersen

    Polling on this issue is so weird. They ask people whether they support intervening in Syria, but they rarely seem to ask them what the responders understand by the term “intervene”. So what we get is a large number of people who think they are being asked whether they support Iraq v2.0, which of course they do not (I would say no as well). Yet if you actually explain to them what Obama is doing, the numbers start to shift dramatically.

    • Christopher Foxx

      I can’t find it to link to it, but we saw a similar effect in other polls mentioned in a column posted here about a week ago.

      Results of four polls were listed. And as you move from the poll that essentially asked “Should we attack Syria” to the one that asked “Should the US help the rebels” to “Should we use focused strikes to protect civilians”, the number of folks in favor rose notably.

      As with all polls, it really, REALLY depends on how you phrase the question.

        Just like polls on ACA…ask the general question get one answer, ask about the specific policies and procedures and get something very different….You’d think the MSM would figure that out and report it that way, eventually….then again, I’m a dreamer

        • Rita D. Lipshutz

          just said that and then scrolled down and saw you saying it a couple of hours ago, great minds clearly do think alike.

    • Rita D. Lipshutz

      same thing with the affordable care act, everybody is against “obamacare” and simultaneously in favor of every component of it when it is explained to them and not called “obamacare.”

  • LTanya Spearman