Conspiracy Theory

The Far Left and the NRA have found themselves on the same side of a major issue.

The National Rifle Association is throwing its weight behind an ACLU lawsuit because they believe NSA surveillance could lead to a national gun registry.

In a brief filed in federal court, the NRA argues that the National Security Agency’s database of phone records amounts to a “national gun registry.”

“It would be absurd to think that the Congress would adopt and maintain a web of statutes intended to protect against the creation of a national gun registry, while simultaneously authorizing the FBI and the NSA to gather records that could effectively create just such a registry,” the group writes. [...]

In its filing, the gun-rights group claims that the NSA’s database would allow the government to identify and track gun owners based on whether they’ve called gun stores, shooting ranges or the NRA.

The Far Left believes the NSA is reading your sexts, following your footsteps to Starbucks, and ogling your Cronut pics on Instagram. The NRA believes the NSA is listening to your calls to the local gun club and tracing your steps to the BFE shooting range.

I suppose they have some common ground, although the NRA’s position on drones is dubious so this is one Bromance that may be short-lived.

This entry was posted in Guns, NSA and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • BlueTrooth

    Marriage of the “progressives” and the Libertarian/Tea Party through a common ground issue. The NRA is an Institution that collects data for propaganda campaigns and building loyalties. Did you hear Ron Paul today on MSNBC? He makes it clear that Progressives are the target-market. There’s a big push with NSA and Syria on the front burner and Rand Paul campaign network setting up shop. Good times, Jordan, good times.

    • trgahan

      Oh, I think it has been obvious the whole time this civil liberties/NSA thing is just a ploy to divide the progressive vote and re-energize former Bush lovers/now “independent libtards” ahead of the 2014 and 2016 elections.

  • Mike Huben

    The ACLU is far left? What kind of fantasyland does that put you in?

    Very simply, people who believe in limited government, left, right and center, are beginning to understand just how much metadata reveals and how it could be used to persecute.

    Now, personally, I think the NRA fostering enormous distribution of firearms is much more a threat than any terrorism, but I don’t think we need a panopticon to solve either problem adequately.

    • JozefAL

      And yet most of these “people who believe in limited government” are far more ready to WILLINGLY turn over their most private and most sensitive data to PRIVATE companies.
      Also, it was these PRIVATE companies who were handing over all that “metadata” in the first place. (And look what happened when that PRIVATE company, contracted to the NSA, hired a PRIVATE citizen to do a job. That PRIVATE citizen decided to STEAL information–much of it actually “private” material–as a way of furthering his own agenda. That’s one of the little things that so many of Snowden and Greenwald’s supporters/defenders seemed to overlook–that in order to say “Hey, look at what your government’s doing,” Snowden had to abscond to a third-party country with untold stores of information about his “fellow citizens.”)
      But the NRA has been opposing ANY “collection” of ANY information on sales of firearms for a very long time. They’ve opposed waiting periods. They’ve opposed background checks. They’ve opposed waiting periods FOR background checks to be conducted. They oppose any sort of regulation of gun shows. The NRA is now little more than a front for gun manufacturers.
      Oh, and as to the “ACLU is far left?” bit, as far as the right-wing is concerned, yes. Rush needed their help when he got into his little drug problem but let the ACLU start backing an end to “Under God” in the Pledge or opposing initiatives to “ban” Sharia law or supporting marriage equality rights, and the ACLU becomes a “far-left activist group bent on destroying traditional American values.”

    • JMAshby

      Nowhere did I say the ACLU is the far left.

      Separate thoughts are often separated by paragraphs, however short they may be.

      • Mike Huben

        Ah: your fantasy, unnamed far left that is not the ACLU.

        I guess I’m willing enough to believe that you are a bad writer, who doesn’t intend his introductory paragraph to have anything to do with the rest of the post. My (insincere) apologies.

  • trgahan

    ….and like the increasingly apparent not-really-progressive Far Left, the NRA shows itself to have absolutely no understanding of what the NSA is actually doing….

      Yeah, that would be the ATF, though I suspect they also have more specific searches in mind.

  • FinninMinn

    Wasn’t it recently revealed that the NRA already has a national gun owners database? Now that’s chutzpah. They’re playing the “left” for rubes, and it’s working.

    they believe NSA surveillance could lead to a national gun registry

    As opposed to the NRA’s own national gun registry????? Their motto ought to be, “What’s okay for me is not okay for thee”