Conspiracy Theory

I’m not sure what this has to do with guns, but Larry Pratt, the director of Gun Owners of America, appeared alongside Alex Jones yesterday and claimed that President Obama has special plans in case of a government shutdown.

Speaking with leading conspiracy theorist Alex Jones yesterday, Pratt urged House Republicans to force a shutdown in their futile attempt to defund Obamacare. Pratt noted that “so-called essential” government functions, like the distribution of Social Security checks, continue during a shutdown…that is, unless “somebody as diabolical as our president were to issue an order saying, ‘We don’t have the money to run the electricity for the computers that are generating the Social Security checks, so therefore they’re not going to be able to go out.’”

President Obama will personally issue an order not to deliver Social Security checks. Apparently.

As much as 90 percent of Americans supported the implementation of stricter background checks before purchasing firearms, but in that instance Congress chose not to listen to the American people and instead sided with crackpots like Larry Pratt, a man who says we shouldn’t pass immigration reform because immigrants will vote to take away your guns.

Fast forward to today and members of Congress are using public opinion to justify their reflexive sanctimony on possible military action in Syria now that the view of the public is politically convenient for them.

Generally speaking, when you find yourself on the same side as characters like Larry Pratt on any given issue, that should give you at least a moment of pause.

This entry was posted in Alex Jones, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Schneibster

    “We don’t have the money to run the electricity for the computers
    that are generating the Social Security checks, so therefore they’re
    not going to be able to go out”

    Apparently Larry buddy thinks there were computers in the 1930s.

    They’re so dumb.

    • missliberties

      It doesn’t matter how dumb they are. People are willingly believing them. False flag? You betcha!

      • Schneibster

        And the techniques they use are all the same ones the advertisers use.

        Douglas Rushkoff’s Coercion had a fantastic example using the cookie and cinnamon bun mall business franchises pumping their enticingly scented oven exhaust into the ambient. I’ve always thought that it’s pretty honest as advertising goes; walk in, and yes, they really do smell like that, and furthermore they taste like that. Truth in advertising and not much way to fake it.

        Problem is people confuse sight and talk with smell and taste. We grow careless in our data security, and there are millions of sources out there trying to get their thing into our heads so we’ll buy (or vote for, to stay relevant to the subject) their Thing.

        What surprises me is that people forget to factor in the desires of the source. And the bias of presentation. It’s the most common fallacy, and it’s very difficult to categorize among the fallacy enumeration sites.

        • missliberties

          I think we should start some rumors.

          • Schneibster

            Ha!

            J. Edgar assassinated JFK to elect Nixon. :D

    • Christopher Foxx

      Having grown to rely on computers, should the power be shut off the gov’t would not be in a position to continue to issue checks.

      • Schneibster

        If it became a humanitarian crisis they’d work it out.

        ETA: Assuming Obama’s still in charge.

        • Christopher Foxx

          I expect they’d work it out somehow. I suspect it would focus on getting the power back on so the computers would run.

          • Schneibster

            I suspect they can’t run out of money because they print it.

  • missliberties

    Conspriacy theories serve a purpose. To fill the people with fear. Then presto. Glenn Beck becomes President? Dreamy.

  • chris ellis

    someone let Larry know no one gets a check anymore.