DeMint: Conservatism Didn’t Fail, Romney Did

When you consider the words of Heritage Foundation president Jim DeMint, it’s easier to understand why Republicans are now demanding that we implement their 2012 platform in exchange for raising the debt ceiling.

DeMint thinks the election results don’t accurately reflect national sentiment and therefore can’t be used to argue against his desire to move the party to the right. True conservatism never got a hearing—particularly not in regard to Obamacare, which was, after all, modeled after a Massachusetts law signed by Romney. “Because of Romney and Romneycare, we did not litigate the Obamacare issue,” he says. Essentially, DeMint is declaring a mistrial. His side can still prevail, he says, but only by awakening the angry, alienated masses who were put off by Romney’s tepid impersonation of a conservative.

From their point of view conservatism didn’t fail. Romney failed conservatism. It’s a running joke to say conservatism can’t fail, but that’s exactly what they believe.

If you were anticipating that the Republican party would self-examine and reevaluate it’s ways at some point in time, I believe you’re going to have to keep waiting for at least another presidential election cycle or two.

The good news is their 2016 platform will more than likely be identical to their 2012 platform and we can defeat it just the same.

We shouldn’t count our chickens just yet, but it’s possible George W. Bush will be counted as the last Republican president for a generation or at least until the party is willing to entertain the idea that they may be wrong.

This entry was posted in Election 2012, Election 2014, Ethics and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    Someone needs to remind the idiot DeMint that Mitt Romney was the best candidate the Republicans could come up with against President Obama. Look at what the GOP alternatives to Romney were:

    – batshitwoman.
    – the redneck dumbfuck.
    – the black guy typecasted as the pizza delivery man in every porn movie made.
    – the religious fanatic who stands on street corners and yells at people that they’ll go to hell if they have sex that’s not approved by God.
    – and Newt Gingrich.

    • dbtheonly

      Vic,

      & among that crowd WMR consistently polled about 30%. He was easily the candidate generating the least enthusiasm. His record of flip-flops insured there’d be a Romney quote in favor of every side of every issue. He has the charisma of a shark.

      And he still got 47% nationally.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        And he still got 47% nationally!

        Yup. And anything less than the relentless, non stop, targeting of key swing states that was the Obama campaign’s ground game, and Romney would have become president, Paul Ryan his vice president and implementing his budget nightmare, and John Bolton would have become Secretary of State who’s blowing up half the world.

        • Badgerite

          Yes, but this President was up against long odds as well since the GOP in Congress did everything they could to slow down or stop any economic recovery in hopes of being able to limit him to one term. As you recall, that was their priority. Not jobs. Not the economy ( except how to damage it without leaving a smoking gun fingerprint on the act). And they are doing pretty much the same thing now. Their agenda is far more important to them than the country is. That’s the way it was then. And that is the way it is now. They are willing to risk the economic consequences of default both domestically as well as internationally to get their way. They really do risk American leadership in the world with these kinds of tactics. And they know it. They just figure they can blow things up later and everyone in the world will pay attention. And that is true. Just not in the way they think. Oh, and they have a bridge that is a major transportation route buckling right now. Eventually, you have to pay attention or things fall down.

  • Mike_Norris

    So, let me make sure I got this straight: According to “conservatives” (Whoever they are these days…) Barack Obama is an illegitimate president–even though he won in a landslide–twice. And now DeMint is pushing the idea–if I understand the twisted logic here–that Mitt Romney was an illegitimate candidate. How many more presidential elections do these stupid asses have to lose before they figure out that IT’s NOT YOU YOU FUCKIN’ ASSHOLES–IT’S YOUR MESSAGE! People with any amount of intelligence DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING! Jeezus–just when I think I have heard the most stupid and outrageous things. Keep it up you ignorant fucks, you’re doing just great.

    • Lady Willpower

      They’ve convinced themselves that he won the first time because America wanted to feel not-racist for 5 minutes (they got over that one). They believe the second win was voter fraud and NBP intimidation.

  • muselet

    Digby, back in 2005:

    Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed by weak-minded souls who refuse to properly follow its tenets. It’s a lot like communism that way.

    I’ve quoted that before (and credit where it’s due, she seems to have said it first), but it bears repeating.

    The Republicans won’t change until they can’t get elected to any office, anywhere. Three election cycles might do the trick.

    DeMint thinks the election results don’t accurately reflect national sentiment

    If only there was some way that people could, oh, I don’t know, cast a vote or something to express themselves when given a choice.

  • tromnick

    OK…assuming that it was all Romney’s fault…what does it say about your party that he won the nomination in the first place? If the fact that he wasn’t conservative enough was bad, well how come none of the other “real” conservatives in the race became the presidentioal nominee? If the main issue was Obamacare, then how in the hell do you let a guy who created Romneycare become your nominee? If Obamacare were that bad, wouldn’t your fellow Republican voters decide to vote for someone else other than the creator of Romneycare?

    I don’t know if this is worse than blaming it on the hurricane. But it’s almost good in a way…keep thinking along these lines, Republicans, because I guarantee you’re not really rallying moderates to your cause. The only reason the 2012 election was “closer” than the 2008 election was because the lofty expectations that Obama had in 2008 were not met, and voters don’t like when you don’t keep all your promises (granted, part of that, or most of that I should say, was due to Republican obstruction tactics. Still…Obama did promise a wee bit too much hope and change in 2008). Add to that the completely false and baseless attacks levied at Obama…you get a closer election. But really, it still wasn’t even that close. I mean, he won the presidency without even knowing which way Florida was going to go!

    • Christopher Foxx

      what does it say about your party that he won the nomination in the first place? If the fact that he wasn’t conservative enough was bad, well how come none of the other “real” conservatives in the race became the presidentioal nominee? If the main issue was Obamacare, then how in the hell do you let a guy who created Romneycare become your nominee? If Obamacare were that bad, wouldn’t your fellow Republican voters decide to vote for someone else other than the creator of Romneycare?

      All right-on-target relevant questions.

      That you will never see any journalist or Democratic politician ask.

  • D_C_Wilson

    This is their answer every time they lose. “Candidate X wasn’t conservative enough.” Ironically, it’s also their answer every time they fuck up, hence all the wingnuts, who five years ago were shrieking accusations of treason at anyone who dared criticize Bush, who are now saying Bush wasn’t a “true conservative.”

  • mrbrink

    Yeah, it’s not like Mitt Romney had to actually to win the Republican nomination as the Homecoming King of terrible people. He tapped Paul Ryan and his budget– the same budget being used to hold the country hostage right now. He took his healthcare plan out back and shot it in the face to appease these people. He told them how the moochers were ruining America. He was supported by Birthers, for fuck’s sake, and responded in kind.

    What they’re looking for is a better liar to dupe centrists and moderates. Someone who speaks with fake empathy while beating up women and starving their children. Pushing seniors into traffic while holding their hand across the street.

    Someone who can make sickness, poverty, and gun-toting domestic terrorism sound like patriotism.

    At the very least, someone who can lie better to the people who cannot believe that the Republican party have become so fucking evil.

    • Badgerite

      True. True. True. True. And —-true. Give ‘em hell.

  • Schneibster

    DeMent thinks more than 10% of the US public hates blacks and gays. He’s delusional.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    This from the party that tried to shed its image as the party of rich white men by nominating the richest, whitest man on the planet.

  • Badgerite

    Oh please! Romney is the only one of the Clown Car of Candidates they had available, since they had hounded anyone else who was even remotely sane or rational out of the contest, who even had a ghost of a chance of getting anywhere near an almost victory against this President. And even he couldn’t manage it. And what they were claiming, pre-election, would constitute a mandate in the Electoral College which is just exactly what Obama got in terms of Electoral College victory, suddenly becomes something less than a mandate when they didn’t win? Interesting. They don’t really care what the public wants. This is a group of people who insisted, when 90% of people approved of increased background checks on gun purchases, that that could not possibly happen with them in office. It isn’t as if they have not demonstrated how little they actually care about what most of the people in the country want.