Distractions

In my opinion the debate on what to do (or not do) in Syria has been an unhinged shitshow that in no way strengthens our Democracy, but Senator Ted Cruz finds this problematic for a different reason.

CRUZ: One of the problems with all of this focus on Syria is it’s missing the ball from what we should be focused on, which is the grave threat from radical Islamic terrorism. Just this week is the one year anniversary of the attack on Benghazi. In Benghazi, four Americans were killed, including the first ambassador since 1979.

This is all very unfortunate, because we’re taking our eye off the Benghazi ball.

The use of chemical weapons on civilians should be a distraction from the Benghazi nothingburger, and what Ted Cruz is saying doesn’t make sense even from a political perspective. Because, frankly, no one gives a shit about Benghazi, however the number of people who believe we’re going to attack Syria for oil is quite high.

There’s an opening here Cruz and his colleagues could exploit if they weren’t such idiots who typically require six months or longer before they catch up to the public.

This entry was posted in Benghazi, Foreign Policy, Syria and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    My understanding is that Ted Cruz is a highly educated man who knows exactly what he is doing by flaming up ignorant rubes. People like him are dangerous as they lie and manipulate willing dupes by keeping them afraid and angry. That’s not leadership, it’s more like an ambitious nihilist exercising control through deceit.

      What I just read about him at Wikipedia is daunting.

      You’re right…his resume is very impressive and he is by no means stupid or ignorant. This guy wants power and he wants it in a big way and if that means playing dumb and using the fear of the unwashed, by golly, he’s gonna do it.

      Scary.

  • JWheels

    Wednesday, September 11 is the anniversary of the attack on the consulate in Benghazi. Hmmm… why does that date sound so familiar? No, nevermind, I can’t think of anything more significant that might have happened on or around that date. My bad. Ted Cruz is definitely talking about the only important thing in the world/

  • muselet

    Within spitting distance of being on topic, I promise, here’s an excerpt from the official transcript of last week’s “Scriptnotes” podcast:

    John August: So, back in college you … had a famous roommate. I don’t know if you want to get into your famous roommate now. It’s probably too long of a topic.

    Craig Mazin: [laughs] No, I can do a very short version. My freshman year roommate, so the roommate that was assigned to me by Princeton University was Ted Cruz who is currently a United States Senator from Texas and putative presidential candidate. And I hated him. And I talked about it –

    John: But now he’s one of your best friends on earth, right?

    Craig: [laughs] No, I still hate him. And I talked about it with a reporter and it was awesome. I was called… — There are some corners of the internet where people just get wild. And politically I’m very much in the middle. I pick and choose from right and left depending on the topic. I’m not a — far from a leftish, far from a rightist. But I was accused of being a leftist, a Marxist, gay, bisexual. I like that it was both gay and bisexual.

    John: That’s perfect. Well, they see your wife and your kid and say, “Okay, maybe once.” [laughs]

    Craig: [laughs] They didn’t really know about that.

    John: Oh, you have two kids, I’m sorry. Twice.

    Craig: Yes, twice. I was a Marxist and a whole bunch of other stuff. It was pretty wild. People are nuts! Anyway, I thought it was fun in a weird way because I have been inoculated to a certain extent from the pain of public criticism, but these people are just cuckoo. I mean, it was actually funny.

    But, Ted Cruz was my roommate. I did not like him at all in college. I actually asked that they give me a different roommate. I made it as far as November and I couldn’t take it anymore. And the university declined my offer, my request. So, I was stuck with him for an entire year. And then I haven’t said a word to him since.

    John: Uh-huh.

    Craig: Bad guy. Don’t like him.

    So Ted Cruz was insufferable even when he was in his teens. Imagine that.

      LOL Further proof that our personalities are formed by the time we’re 6. I bet Ted Cruz was annoying people in Kindergarten.

      • muselet

        Daycare.

        –alopecia