Friendly Fire

Ted Cruz is so insufferable and awful, even his fellow Republicans are dishing opposition research on him according to Fox’s own Chris Wallace.

“This has been one of the strangest weeks I’ve ever had in Washington,” Wallace said. “As soon as we listed Ted Cruz as our featured guest this week, I got unsolicited research and questions, not from Democrats but from top Republicans, to hammer Cruz.”

And who is orchestrating the campaign to undermine Ted Cruz? It may be Karl Rove.

“This was a strategy laid out by Mike Lee (R-UT) and Ted Cruz without any consultation with their colleagues,” said Karl Rove. “With all due respect to my junior Senator from Texas, I suspect this is the first time that the end game was described to any Republican Senator. They had to tune in to listen to you to find out what Ted’s next step was in the strategy.”

Operating under the principle that even a broken clock is right twice per day, I have to agree with Karl Rove. Ted Cruz and Mike Lee have essentially taken control of the party’s direction while Senate Minority Follower Mitch McConnell ducks to avoid attacks from his local challengers in Kentucky. Even Speaker John Boehner is dancing to their tune because he’s afraid of losing his speakership.

I enjoy watching Republicans attack each other as much as anyone, but we can’t lose sight of what’s at stake while gorging on Schadenfreude. Ted Cruz and his ilk in the Flying Monkey Caucus need to be stopped.

This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Schneibster

    I’ve been thinking of calling Mitch “Hindmost,” but it’s a bit obscure unless you’ve read Ringworld.

    • muselet

      That’s a bit insulting to Pierson’s Puppeteers, don’t you think?

      –alopecia

      • Schneibster

        No, actually in their terms it’s a compliment. :D

        • muselet

          True, but the Hindmost leads from behind. John Boehner … doesn’t. With a Hindmost like Boehner, the Puppeteers would have been vaporized in the Core Explosion.

          –alopecia

          • Schneibster

            No, he’s the Most Hidmost. You must not attempt to directly analogize Pierson’s Puppeteers’ status rituals to human status. Humans are not herd animals; they only steal their strategies in certain ways.

          • muselet

            I know when I’ve been out-nerded. Well done.

            (I haven’t read Niven in yonks. I’ll have to dive in again when life slows down a bit. *laughs hysterically*)

            –alopecia

          • Schneibster

            I got lucky; I’ve just been reading the Ringworld trilogy in the last month or two, so it’s fresh in my mind.

  • dbtheonly

    JM,
    Don’t underestimate Karl Rove. He’s smart & has near unlimiteed money behind him.
    I see no need to help McConnell or Boehner reign in the Tea Party.

    The old school Repubs are going after Cruz because he won’t perform the obligatory obeisance to them, the Sentate rules, or their expectations on what road one should take to the White House. He’s not the kind to spend decades in Congress. He’s special (just ask him). He’s going to go all the way to the top without passing “GO”. And that pisses McCain off. They’re jerks and he’s a jerk, but their different kinds of jerks. And they’re fighting over the same small slice of pie right now. I agree the Tea Party (and Cruz) are in control of the Repub party so that’s who we have to fight. The old guard can still do damage but I think they’ve already lost control of the clown car and Rove’s efforts are too little, too late.