Good People of Good Will? Not So Much.

While a New Jersey judge has declared that the state must extended marriage rights to same-sex couples, Governor Chris Christie has vowed to appeal the ruling to the state Supreme Court and he’s once again trying to put constitutional rights up for a vote.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) said in an interview that aired Sunday that he thinks the state should hold a voter referendum on the issue of gay marriage.

Asked in an interview with CBS’ “Sunday Morning” if he believed in same-sex marriage, Christie said he did not.

“But what I will tell you is that I understand that good people of good will have a difference of opinion on this,” he added. “And so my view on it is, put it on the ballot. Let the people decide.”

Anyone who seeks to deny rights to other people that they themselves enjoy are not “good people of good will.” Denying marriage rights to gay and lesbian couples is not good will. Putting their rights up for a vote is not good will. Chris Christie is not displaying good will. These are not good people.

The lower court ruled that denying marriage rights to gay and lesbian is a violation of their right to equal protection under the law. Does Governor Chris Christie believe we should put equal protection under the law up for a vote?

Does Christie believe denying equal protection under the law to certain groups of people is good will?

Apparently so.

If we lived in Bizarro World and Chris Christie was denied the right to marry his wife, would he consider putting his rights up for a vote to be the actions of good people with good will?

Attempting to deny rights to others because your religion tells you to does not make you good-willed or a good person. You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, LGBT and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • feloniousgrammar

    Someone up there needs to kick anything that slightly resembles nullification so hard in the nuts that state governors would blanch at the thought of it.

  • Badgerite

    I believe they did put it up for a vote in the state legislature. And it won. And he vetoed it. But, yeah, fundamental rights do not go up for a vote. They are your by right as an American citizen.

    • JMAshby

      To be clear, Christie wants a public referendum, not a vote in the state legislature. And yes, he did veto a measure passed by the legislature last year.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Same-sex marriage opponents like to argue that gay people have the same right to marry as everyone else, viz., they have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex, which everyone else has too, so there’s no discrimination, therefore gay people are seeking a “special privilege,” not equal rights.

    The problem for them, which they either aren’t aware of or can’t admit to themselves, is that it works the other way as well, viz., the right to marry a person of the same gender would also extend and apply to straight people. Meaning, if a gay person has the right to marry a person of the same gender, then a straight person would also have the right to marry a person of the same gender.

    Of course that understanding of how civil rights work would never occur to a bigot.

    • trgahan

      Civil rights to bigots are “When it’s what I want to do at any given moment; it’s a God given right that to even slightly curtail is tyranny, Damn it! But if a group I fear wants to do the same thing, the only real civil right is my “right” to deny them theirs.”

    • muselet

      But they have to make nonsensical public arguments like that because their real argument is, “Ewwww! Gay! Icky!”

    Chris Christie has been banging that particular little toy drum for a while now. His “I’m being reasonable on this subject” routine is wearing thin.

    –alopecia