GOP Rep: We’re Done With Immigration And We Blame Obama

The death of immigration reform has been imminent for some time, but it’s closer to becoming official today as two Republicans exited the so-called “gang of seven.”

And it’s Obama’s fault. Of course. via The Hill

Texas Reps. John Carter and Sam Johnson announced in a joint statement Friday they were leaving the group of seven, saying they could not trust President Obama to enforce an immigration bill that might pass Congress.

“After years of hard work and countless meetings, we have reached a tipping point and can no longer continue working on a broad approach to immigration,” Carter and Johnson said.

“We want to be clear. The problem is politics. Instead of doing what’s right for America, President Obama time and again has unilaterally disregarded the U.S. Constitution, the letter of the law and bypassed the Congress — the body most representative of the people — in order to advance his political agenda,” the two lawmakers said.

ThanksObama

After years of hard work we couldn’t come up with anything that can pass muster. It’s too hard. We should just give up and go home. And let’s blame Obama. That usually works.

This fantastical line of attack may work on their constituents, but it’s not going to work on Latino voters.

I believe a failure to pass immigration reform now will make it the number one issue of the next presidential election in 2016, because this issue isn’t going away. And that should scare the shit out of Republican campaign operatives. We could be facing the third election in a row that Republicans invariably find themselves on the side of overt racists. An election in which it’s a very real possibility that Democrats could nominate a woman or a Latino, or both. Or a woman who chooses a Latino as her running mate.

This entry was posted in Election 2016, Immigration and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    In other words, John Carter and Sam Johnson are afraid Barack Obama won’t build that electrified fence Herman Cain proposed last year. Or dig a moat and fill it with alligators. Or whatever hare-brained scheme to keep those people out strikes their fancy. So they’ll blame him instead of admitting they weren’t really serious about immigration.

    Carter and Johnson aren’t the only ones, of course. Behold Mike Jorgenson, another example of why immigration reform won’t happen for a very long time.

    This is what happens when Republicans get elected.

    –alopecia

    • feloniousgrammar

      But not the nannies and gardeners!

  • mdblanche

    GOP to Latinos: Caigan muertos.

  • mrbrink

    They’re such fucking liars. They might as well be saying that they’re backing out because their scarce billions in resources would be better utilized by continuing to avoid eye contact with the cleaning lady. That is, unless they need to be scolded and condescended to. Then it’s all, “you look at me when I’m withholding your paycheck!”

    The GOP’s intellectual violence against the DREAM act pretty much exposed them to all for the perpetual Klan meeting they represent. The difference is, the Republican party’s constituency, which comprises about 30% of the electorate(but 100% in their minds!), still takes pride in the burning-cross-pageantry and the meticulous stitchwork of their cracker-hoodies.

    Last election Republicans lost the Latino vote 71-27%.

    It’s going to take Reagan being resurrected in a sombrero, or Marco Rubio reinventing the flux capacitor to even begin to steal back the hearts and minds of people who are clearly too dumb to know that a U.S. prison wall on the border to enforce their permanent temporary work release program is what’s best for American class warfare and its nation of immigrants.

    They all sound exactly like DeNiro’s Senator McLaughlin from Machete.

    They’re not fooling anyone.

      In this, conservatives reasoning is very similar to the gun debate. For example, I was talking to my office’s resident righty about the border. I began a discussion about the logistics of building a wall and maintaining. I explained how much it would cost and how we would have to gut the entire federal budget to have enough money to build it. Then we’d have to hire tens of thousands of new workers, train them and post them at the border to maintain it. And the coup de grace was that no wall in the history of mankind has ever truly effective in keeping the “other people” on the other side from coming in (not even the Great Wall of China, which can be seen from space). So we’d have spent tons and tons of money and effort on a wall that WILL fail. The righty’s answer–okay, let’s do it anyway because it’s the principle that matters. His right to be free from breathing air with more brown people was so much more important than protecting us from real threats like climate change or a failing economy, etc. Just like the gun nuts…they’re impervious to logic of any kind.

      They’re nucking futs…seriously.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Read that last bit again:

    “Instead of doing what’s right for America, President Obama time and
    again has unilaterally disregarded the U.S. Constitution, the letter of
    the law and bypassed the Congress — the body most representative of the
    people — in order to advance his political agenda.”

    If there’s an emptier, more generic, boilerplate, vacuous string of trite, meaningless rhetorical nonsense ever spoken by a politician, I haven’t heard it.

    • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

      Exactly! It’s cheap sloganeering nonsense good for any situation, in any state, at any time, for both teabaggers and emoprogs of any age.
      It’s so ridiculously generic it could have been written by ALEC!

  • chris ellis

    goddamn Obama! he could get everyone from his party to agree but no one from our party! how dare he fail at convincing us loons!

  • chris ellis

    don’t worry, they just released a minute video celebrating hispanic heritage month. OUTREACH: CHECK!

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Looks as if Republicans will now rely on winning future elections “the old fashioned way”. By rigging and stealing them, then gerrymandering the districts.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Republicans are betting the number one issue in the next presidential election will be . . .

    Wait for it. . .

    BENGHAZI!!!!!!

    Oh, and they’ll put Ted Cruz on either the top or the bottom and that will totall not fix their problems with Latino voters, but they’ll convince themselves it will.

    What? Did you expect to offer solutions to any of the country’s problems? That’s crazy talk!