Government Shutdown Will Gut NASA

ISS

How will a government shutdown effect our nation’s space agency? Virtually all operations other than those that prevent people from dying will cease and 97 percent of the workforce will be furloughed.

Fewer than 600 of NASA’s 18,000 or so employees would likely keep working through a shutdown, with the aim of ensuring the safety of human life and the protection of property, according to a plan the space agency submitted today (Sept. 27) to the Office of Management and Budget.

The International Space Station (ISS) and its six crewmembers would not be hung out to dry.

“To protect the life of the crew as well as the assets themselves, we would continue to support planned operations of the ISS during any funding hiatus,” the NASA plan states.

It must be very comforting to crew members on the International Space Station to know that the actions of House Republicans won’t result in their death. At least not yet.

How small and petty the machinations of Congress must appear to be from Earth orbit.

This entry was posted in Congress, Government Shutdown, Science, Space and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Kennet

    The people who monitor coronal mass ejections and watch out for incoming asteroids will, however, be at home?

    • Nefercat

      If coronal mass ejections from the big sky ball and incoming asteroids aren’t in the Bible, then they aren’t real. Just like climate change! We don’t need no stinkin’ NASA, right?

        coronal mass ejections…and incoming asteroids

        They fall under the category “God’s will”.

  • Groundloop

    “How small and petty the machinations of Congress must appear to be from Earth orbit.”

    Honestly, they look small and petty from Toronto.

    • Nefercat

      Come to think of it, they probably also look small and petty from down the block at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

  • LTanya Spearman

    Rasmussen:
    Obama Approval Rating Climbs To 51%

    • LTanya Spearman

      Sorry, forgot my reference:
      http://bit.ly/wIIvC8
      Rasmussen, daily President approval rating, which stand @51

      Rasmussen? So that means the approval rating is actually around 65%, right?

  • js hooper

    Well if the Govt. is shut down and NASA is destroyed i’m sure the people
    down here in Houston where I live will blame Pres.Obama….like they
    already have for NASA’s lack of funding over the years. I live about 5
    min from NASA and the anti-Obama sentiment here is fuckin absurd.Republicans could shit on these people’s faces and they would blame Obama.

    • Craig Moffitt

      How many time’s have we heard about the county that declares itself a federal government free zone (whatever that means) that gets massive federal agg subsidies or the conservative district where the local economy is totally dependent upon the nearby defense plant. Yet these same people send people to congress who vow to do away with the evil, evil government. Then they are shocked to discover that means them not those “moochers” who live in the big cities or on the distant coasts. Of course nothing is ever their fault so they have to double down on the notion that someone else is taking it from them and giving it to someone less deserving.

  • Badgerite

    If these people had actually been around during the Revolutionary Era, there wouldn’t be a United States of America.

      They were around. They were called “Tories”.

      • Badgerite

        Exactly.