Here Comes the ‘Public Option’ — Sort Of

Remember the almost unspoken part of the ACA that took the place of the public option? No? The administration will roll it out today:

The Obama administration plans on Monday to announce scores of new health insurance options to be offered to consumers around the country by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and the United States Office of Personnel Management, the agency that arranges health benefits for federal employees, according to administration officials.
Related

The options are part of a multistate insurance program that Congress authorized in 2010 to increase options for consumers shopping in the online insurance markets scheduled to open on Tuesday.

Congress conceived multistate plans as an alternative to a pure government-run insurance program — the “public option” championed by liberal Democrats and opposed by Republicans in 2009-10.

Unfortunately, it won’t be offered in every state. But if it’s successful, who knows?

This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Badgerite

    I’m actually kind of exited to see what is available. GOP bullshit notwithstanding.

    Of course, it won’t be in Arizona. Living in a red state sucks _________ ________ balls.

    • feloniousgrammar

      old white balls?

        Well, that’s one you could use. My typical curse here would involve the color green and a donkey (and I have no idea where I got that from, my feral childhood?)

    • Churchlady320

      It probably WILL be available in the states without state exchanges. I believe AZ is one of them. It is not apparently in those states WITH state exchanges meaning that the public option is in many – mostly – Red states. How’s that for irony?

        Hmmm, I skimmed the article Bob linked to but AZ wasn’t in the list of participating states….need to read it closer apparently.