Idiot Quote of the Day

[It] “was intended to stir public anger, to get everybody out there with their pitch forks and their hangman nooses, and all that–sort of like what we did in the Deep South [decades ago]. And I think it was just as bad and just as wrong.” -AIG CEO Robert Benmosche on uproar over Wall Street bonuses

Public anger at enormous, excessive Wall Street bonuses is just like lynchings in the south during the civil rights era, except not at all.

Alternatively, you could just wear a sign on your back.

This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    If you read this quote out of context it is downright horrible. If you read it in context it’s still sh*tty. Basically the guy is saying only a few specific people got bonuses and they deserved it since they didn’t cause the crash and they had a standard of living to maintain. Are you effing kidding me? Millions of Americans cared f*ck all about the standard of living of ridiculously wealthy people who would never know hunger and never lack for work even if AIG had crashed whether it was their fault or not.

    This guy actually think that info was leaked in order to stir us up. No, it was reported 1) because it was true, 2) because it was patently unfair, and 3) the 1 percenters needed to hear the voice of the 99%. This quote just means they didn’t get it the first time around and nothing has changed. And that’s why we’ll go through this kind of BS again. I wonder how many major recessions/depressions the wealthy can can cause before the rest of us do decide we’ve had enough.

    • Christopher Foxx

      and they had a standard of living to maintain

      All of whom, without exception, have enough money already that not getting bonuses would have had exactly zero effect on their lifestyles.

  • Schneibster

    If I thought there was even a 10% chance what he says is true I might waste a moment crying crocodile tears.

  • Zen Diesel

    Just like invoking Hitler, the minute you bring up lynching you automatically lose the argument.

    • Schneibster

      Well, deny the Flying Monkey Caucus is trying to lynch Obama.

      I’ve never trusted Godwin’s Law. It’s always seemed to me like an easy out for fascists.

      • Zen Diesel

        You definitely make a good point.

  • drspittle

    Well, as Chuck Todd would say, the people who were lynched have not done as good a job of messaging as AIG CEO Robert Benmosche has. If only they had reached across the noose, AIG executives would not have to suffer. Or something.

    //snark.

    • Churchlady320

      Yeah – it was up to the victims to declare the truth and prove it with facts.

      Oh wait. They did.

  • stacib23

    http://articles.courant.com/2013-09-19/community/hc-hartford-parent-complaint-0920-20130919_1_parent-files-complaint-hartford-schools-classroom

    Has anybody here read this article? The comments by the administrators are jaw dropping. To say that putting a black child “in the fields” being watched by overseers while being insulted is an experience that anybody needs to go through EVER again is enough to make me bang my head for hours.

  • Schneibster

    If I could catch that bastard I’d put a sign on his back. How about “Kick me?”

    • Christopher Foxx

      Better: “Lynch me”.

      • Schneibster

        LOL