It’s Kind of a Big Deal

ObamaUN

Whether or not we would find ourselves engaged in a shooting war with Iran has been an open question since at least 2007 if not earlier thanks to Bush-era hard-lining and saber-rattling, but things may be taking a distinctive turn for the better.

During his speech in front of the United Nations General Assembly today, President Obama announced that he has directed Secretary of State John Kerry to pursue a peace deal with the Iranians.

“We should be able to achieve a resolution that respects the rights of the Iranian people while giving the world confidence that the Iranian program is peaceful,” Obama said during a speech before the United Nations General Assembly. [...]

“The roadblocks may prove to be too great, but I firmly believe the diplomatic path must be tested,” Obama said.

If Syria’s chemical weapons program is dismantled without dropping a single U.S. bomb, and if the president is able to negotiate a deal with Iran that satisfies their regional adversaries, I believe those who consistently mock the president’s Nobel peace prize should eat a giant bowl of crow.

As should those who have come to believe that the president is somehow a worse-than-bush warmonger who loves blowing up Arabs.

That sounds like a caricature, and it is, but there are those on the left who actually believe that. It’s time for them to grow up and accept that the world is a complicated place.

There are several big “ifs” at stake here, but it may already be more than his predecessors have accomplished in the past 30 years. 30 years of distrust and suspicion, as the president noted during his speech today.

“I don’t believe this difficult history can be overcome overnight,” Obama said. “The suspicions run too deep, but I do believe if we can resolve the issue of Iran’s nuclear program that can serve as a major step down a long road toward a different relationship–one based on mutual interest and mutual respect.”

A hard-reset of relations may be exactly what is needed.

This entry was posted in Foreign Policy, Iran, President Obama and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Vic78

    I remember a junior senator being called naive for saying he would talk to the Iranians.
    http://youtu.be/iRb9PONMeLY

    If we could resolve this peacefully, the dynamic of the entire region will shift. And that is the most important outcome of all. The middle east has been a powder keg that threatens to suck us all into unsolvable conflicts. Too many other countries, including our allies (Israel, I’m looking at you) have been betting on Iranian hostility because it helps them manipulate the situation to their short-term benefit.

  • feloniousgrammar

    How does The Washington Post get to copyright a transcript of the POTUS speaking at the U.N.?

  • Zen Diesel

    Oh to be a fly on the wall at the Moon BatShit Monkey Propaganda Rubber Room “Fox News”, to see which Drudge talking points they will be using on Bill O and Slanity tonight.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I’d imagine the room would me messy and smelly with all the poo being flung around crazily because of the primate behavior going on in there.

      • Zen Diesel

        It get even messier and smellier when the Flying Monkey Caucus “Caribou Barbie, Count Chocula Krauthammer, and Darth Rove” arrives for their talking points.